New Year, New Goals, New You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Welcome back everyone to a new school year! And welcome new incoming freshmen! We hope your
first quarter goes by smoothly! It is now fall but it still feels like summer so we hope everyone stays hydrated while going to class during these next few days. Our campus is evolving and becoming more
beautiful every year by the expansion of our school. And we expect big things this school year!

This year there will be changes to our beautiful campus that will only benefit all students and hopefully expand the student population here at UCR. It was announced that UCR’s School of Medicine will be opening soon, as it was given the go ahead to finish construction. This will give our school greater recognition. With a new school of medicine, students will be able to major in Pre-Med for undergraduate studies which are something a lot of students are looking forward to. We are all rooting for the School of
Medicine to officially open!

On more recent news, the Chancellor of UC Riverside Timothy White is leaving his position to become
the seventh chancellor of the CSU system. It is sad to see a friend of our school leaving because he has
created great success on our campus, but we wish him the best on his new position and he will always
be a big part of our UCR campus.

On a brighter note, we recently celebrated the annual Block Party with artists STRFKR, Cold War Kid, Dom Kennedy, and Nelly. ASPB’s Block Party is a great way for students to start off the new school year with excitement and enthusiasm. It was really exciting to see a variety of artists with different genres from the alternative Cold War Kids to Throwback artist Nelly. For Nelly’s performance he called up three ladies up to the stage and interacted with the audience as well. This school year has a lot of new and exciting things to come and musically, we still have Winter Soulstice, Heat Music Festival, and Spring Splash to look forward to too. Hope everyone has a great first few weeks of school!

Photo taken by Stephanie Liong. Block Party event put on by courtesy of ASPB.
Photo Sourcehttp://www.hercampus.com/school/ucriverside/aspb-presents-ucr-block-party-2012

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.