Music Festivals to Attend This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

As the days warm up exponentially, I think of two things: the possibility of suffering a heat stroke and the impending music festival season. Indeed, the months of pure musical heaven are upon us, and I suggest you take advantage of it. With varying price ranges and musical genres, there is a festival out there for you in SoCal.

Santa Monica Pier’s Twilight Concerts

Price: Free

The Santa Monica Pier already boasts enough attractions to entertain for hours, but with their annual Twilight Concerts series, you can also enjoy a great lineup of musicians every Thursday night from July 10 to September 11. Indie rock band Cults kicks off the series, while Malaysian pop singer Yuna plays the week after. For more information, click here.

Make Music Pasadena

Price: Free

Make Music Pasadena is the ultimate free music festival, featuring an eclectic mix of genres from alternative indie to Latin pop. Surfer Blood, whom you may remember from last year’s Heat Festival, headlines this year. It happens on June 7, so if you want to take a break from studying for finals, head on over to the event. For more information, click here.

Echo Park Rising

Price: Free

Explore the artsy neighborhood of Echo Park while enjoying free local music at various venues. Although the lineup has yet to be announced, the festival has been set for August 15-17. For more information, click here.

Viva! Pomona

Price: $15

Allah-Las, the Lovely Bad Things, and Mrs. Magician are only a few of the bands set to play at Viva! Pomona, a small, two-day festival located at the Glass House in Downtown Pomona. It’s a great way to discover local, up-and-coming artists on a budget. For more information, click here.

Burger a-Go-Go!

Price: $32.50

Featuring several female-fronted rock bands, Burger a-Go-Go! will definitely be a rowdy, fun time. If you’re a true Best Coast fan, you must attend and appreciate the goddess who is Bethany Cosentino. For more information, click here.

Vans Warped Tour

Price: $40

For the moshers and headbangers out there, Warped Tour is a no-brainer. The annual tour hits Pomona on June 20 this year and features bands like A Skylit Drive and Enter Shikari. For more information, click here.

FYF Fest

Price: $129

If you can’t afford Coachella, FYF is a slightly more affordable option. The Strokes, Phoenix, Haim, Mac DeMarco, and Earl Sweatshirt are a few of the artists attached to the two-day festival in Los Angeles. For more information, click here.

I'm a fourth year, creative writing major who enjoys thrifting, idolizing David Bowie, and consuming inane amounts of hazelnut coffee.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside