Melisa Ramirez: Girl on Fire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Meet Melisa Ramirez, a fourth year and UC Riverside’s own girl on fire! Not literally (ouch!) but metaphorically. She’s taken super woman to the next level at only twenty-two years old; taking multiple positions in her sorority (Sigma Pi Alpha), being constantly active with her fellow multicultural community, and setting high goals for herself.  Some would crack under the pressure that has been constantly on her shoulders (I know I would) but she keeps an upbeat and positive attitude. Her secret weapon? Stay strong with a smile. She is truly a great example of the strong woman we all strive to be everyday. With her ambition and perseverance there is no doubt we will see her making headlines in the future! See what she has to say in her interview with Her Campus!

Major: History

Hometown: Garden Grove, CA

Favorite dish: Pozole…Mexican food in general! (Yumm!)

Interesting facts about Melisa: I love facing my fears because I’m an adrenaline junkie and I’m obsessed with paranormal stuff!

HC: What are you passions and/or talents?

Melisa: My passion is definitely to work with children and teenagers. Normally I do not have much patience, but kids and teenagers bring out the best in me. I feel like I’m glowing when I’m working with them because they just look up to you.

HC: Tell me about your involvement at UCR.

Melisa: I am President, Finance Chair, Philanthropy Chair, and Co-Health Chair for my sorority Sigma Pi Alpha. I am also the secretary for our Collaborative Multicultural Council.

HC: What are some of the duties you are responsible for as President?

Melisa: Some of my duties as President are to make sure that each position is getting the events they have planned done in a timely manner. I also need to make sure that my chapter keeps improving from the years before especially when it comes to completing our goals.

HC: What has been most rewarding as your position as President of your sorority so far?

Melisa: I guess it would be that I feel like the ultimate big sister in the sense that my sisters turn to me if they ever have any questions or concerns. So, when I see my sisters accomplish their events, and when I see how much we grow from day one is huge to me.

HC: What is one of the biggest challenges you’ve had to face?

Melisa: One of the biggest challenges has definitely been getting used to the fact that I am no longer very approachable because of my title as President. I’m not seen or treated as my normal dorky self because now I am the face of my sorority. That means I have to behave in certain ways.

HC: What inspired you to want to join a sorority?

Melisa: I always wanted to be a part of something that would make me a better person while being my support system through the good and bad. I also wanted to do a lot of community service because in high school I would always find an excuse as to why I didn’t have time to volunteer.

HC: What are your plans after you graduate?

Melisa: I plan on going to graduate school in order to get my teaching credentials for Math. I want to be a High School Physics, Math, History, and Spanish teacher while coaching volleyball.

HC: Anything else you’d like to say?

Melisa: Besides having my sisters’ support, I also wouldn’t be able to do so much if it wasn’t for my family and long-term boyfriend Fernando Rodriguez (NAK NN#76)

Amanda Flores

UC Riverside

Amanda is a first year Creative Writing and Pre-Business double major with a minor in Psychology at UC Riverside. With a love for movies and books alike, she strives to be a successful author and film producer one day.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside