How to Happily Coexist with Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Living with roommates isn’t always easy, but I’ve learned a few things over the past four years that have made coexistence much simpler. Here are a few tips that will help you bond with your roommates in a completely functional way. Hopefully, they’ll even put the fun in functional. *cue the pity laughs*

1.       Post all your schedules up

My roommates and I decided to write our class and work schedules on Post-its on our fridge, and it’s one of the easiest yet best things we’ve done. Now we don’t have to constantly text each other to ask where someone is or when we’ll be back in the apartment. It also really helps when you’re trying to coordinate meals or hangouts.

2.       Set aside a time to clean together and blast music

Not many people enjoy cleaning, but add some music to the mix and it’ll become an instant dance party with the roomies. Swiffering and scrubbing to a playlist of all of your favorite songs takes the monotony out of your chores.

3.       Respect each other’s space

You and your roomies are presumably living within a limited amount of space, so be aware of where you throw your things. It might be easy to toss your backpack, jacket, and shopping bags in the living room or take up the entire bathroom counter, but remember that it is everyone’s space. Keep things at least somewhat organized and in your own space for the sake of those around you.

4.       Leave air freshener in the bathroom

Sh*t literally happens, and no one deserves to walk into the bathroom and smell it. Leave some air freshener in the bathroom to combat the stench and avoid potential awkwardness. Everyone wins.

5.       Be aware of your noise level

Even if you guys are the best of friends and constantly joking around together, there always comes a time when someone needs quiet. Stay aware and respectful of your roommates’ situations, especially if someone is cramming for an exam or trying to sleep.

6.       Figure out what’s communal and what’s not (especially when it comes to food)

Finding three boxes of eggs in your fridge and two loaves of bread in the pantry isn’t fun when half of them expire before you all get to them. Consider coming up with a list of what food can be shared among everyone to save space and precious food from going to waste, and take turns buying the items to be fair.

7.       The obvious: communicate!

Like most situations, communication is crucial. Lay out some ground rules together from the start. If your roommate is doing something that bothers you, talk to her politely about it and come up with a solution. Letting issues bottle up never helps and will only cause unnecessary tension.

I'm a fourth year, creative writing major who enjoys thrifting, idolizing David Bowie, and consuming inane amounts of hazelnut coffee.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside