element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cuties Couples Edition: Kevin and Grace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

February is already here! And to most of us, that only means one thing, Valentine’s Day. I know it’s hard not to associate V-day with #foreveralone and Ferrero Rocher. But do people really take a second to think about what the real meaning behind Valentine’s Day is? From a factual standpoint, there really is no beneficial purpose behind this holiday. School isn’t canceled, you gain weight from gorging on candy, guys become broke, and single people complain nonstop. So why is Valentine’s Day so anticipated? That’s because Valentine’s Day should be seen from an emotional standpoint. It is a time when people can really take a moment to appreciate and recognize the people in their lives who have made a difference and who are special to their hearts. That is why we are celebrating couples in our February Campus Cuties section. Because couples like our Campus Cuties, Kevin and Grace really remind us that Valentine’s Day is more than just a shallow commercial holiday.

Background

HIM

Name: Kevin Shin

Year: 4th year

Major: Business Economics

HER

Name: Grace Hwang

Year: 3rd year

Major: Nursing

How did you guys meet?

Both: Church!

Grace: We met through my friend Hana. He was the shyest boy ever.

How did you guys go from being friends to dating?

Kevin: Grace and I went as a group to Universal Horror Nights and she was clinging to my arm through the maze. I took that as the perfect opportunity to make my move and hold her hand (take note guys). Even though we didn’t officially say anything, I think we both knew we were now more than just friends.

What is your favorite thing about each other?

Grace: His biceps (laughs) and his patience. He is very rational and I’m not. So we balance each other out.

Kevin: I always thought Grace had a cute face since the moment I saw her. I really like that she is athletic as well because fitness is very important to me. But most importantly, I love that she is caring and very family oriented.

What are your pet peeves about each other?

Grace: While I love that he is rational, he can sometimes be TOO logical. I just want to be mad sometimes, but he can’t get past his logic to see why I’m upset.

Kevin: When she gets angry out of nowhere. I never see it coming!

What is your favorite memory together?

Both: Catalina!

Kevin: We bought tickets for Catalina one day as part of a group-on deal. It was valid for a year so we put it off for a while. Around November, I realized it was going to expire so randomly I told Grace we should go that weekend. It was very spontaneous and that was what made it so special for us! We rode a ferry to the island and we realized it was a perfect weekend to go, because the weather was beautiful and the water was clear. We had so much fun, just riding our bikes on the beach, eating at a cute diner, and going on a submarine ride. The best part of the trip though was coming home, because we finished the trip with a beautiful Catalina sunset.

How long have you guys been together?

3 years and 8 months

How have you guys managed to not fall into the relationship “slump”?

Kevin: I believe there are 2 honey moon stages. After the first 2 ½ years of dating, the 1st honey moon stage was over. I’m not going to lie it was hard after that, but I realized you shouldn’t focus on what you feel at that second. Looking past my momentary feelings, I knew Grace was the right girl for me. That was when I entered the 2nd honeymoon stage. This stage is where everything became so much more real and because I knew she was the one, I began to love her more and more each day. In the 1st honeymoon stage, I didn’t know if we were serious about each other so I couldn’t invest all of myself, but now I can put my full trust in Grace and that has made the foundation of our relationship that much stronger.

Alyssa Park

UC Riverside

Being a third year anthropology major, it has been my passion to connect with people in a meaningful way. I want to do my best to be as honest, open and relate able with my readers and to make sure my articles represent who I am as an individual. I love to write and to share the quirky little things I've gotten out of life. I aspire to one day share these stories and articles with global audiences in established magazine editorials. Overall, it is my goal to make the most out of the opportunities given to me and to make others around me feel encouraged and happy. If people would stop focusing on the negative, then maybe they would see that life can be pretty awesome if they want it to be.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside