Campus Celebrity: Judy Chang

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

UC Riverside is home to a plethora of talented, gifted students with all sorts of artistic and creative passions.  While most have been performing on the stage since the wee age of five-years-old, Judy Chang only recently made her way into the spotlight.  An art major with a love for singing, Judy discovered her love to sing as a shy, timid elementary school girl; “I was very shy at school and would never talk.  I’d go back home when my parents weren’t home and would sing as many songs as I could before they came.”  Judy says that her friends and sister have always been very supportive of her hobby and that her family has yet to discover her talent; “I am still very shy about it!”  Judy recently performed at HCUCR’s talent show at the Barn – the first time she has sung in front of an audience!  Her bone-chilling rendition of Lana Del Rey’s “Video Games” sent chills crawling up my spine…this girl truly has a gift!  After interviewing Judy, I was shocked to find that she had never received any sort of formal vocal training.  When asked what singers inspire her the most, Judy responded with “Jessie J, Katy Perry, Adele, Lana del Ray – musicians with strong vocals.”  It is no surprise that Judy’s voice is equally as strong as her role models’.  A lover of most music genres, Judy plans on always singing no matter what career she decides to pursue.  “I am still searching and trying out new things within art,” she reveals.  “I will keep singing as my passion no matter what job I get myself into.”