Ask Annie: Roommate Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Need Advice? Then ask away, it’s totally anonymous. Annie answers not only your relationship advice, but academic, personal, and just about anything! 

Why can’t we change roommates every quarter?

-Annoyed by This Rude Roommate

Dear Annoyed by This Rude Roommate,

I am truly sorry that you were unfortunate enough to get a horrible roommate, but don’t despair! If you haven’t already asked for a roommate change before then you can definitely look into filing for one. But before we get to that, have you brought up the issue with your roommate? Maybe it can all be worked out. What is it that is bothering you about your roommate? Is it something that can be fixed, like the fact that they let their alarm clock ring every morning or they tend to eat all of your yogurt. I’m sure that by making the issue known, the situation can be fixed. Sure you probably won’t end up being best friends with your roommate but at least the issue will be out there in the open and hopefully your roommate is considerate enough to change. If the problem is more along the lines of you getting sexiled every night or your roommate is stealing your underwear (anything along the lines of them not being able to respect you), then I suggest you tell your R.A. If your roommate is affecting your academic and personal life then I am more then positive that someone at the housing center will be helpful and understanding in allowing for you to switch roommates. But your problems will never be addressed unless you speak up!

Wishing you the best of luck,

Annie

Nicole Martinez

UC Riverside

Nicole is a senior at UC Riverside where she is majoring in Media and Culture studies. She co-founded the Her Campus UC Riverside chapter her sophomore year in college. She loves to spend her free time watching The Mindy Project, Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and other shows with leading ladies. She also dabbles on tumblr, instagram (obviwearetheladies), and twitter. Mindy Kailing and Shoshanna are her spirit animals and in the near future she hopes to achieve elite status on Yelp, pursue a career in Public Relations and ultimately conquer the world.