8 Totally Un-Sh*tty Christmas Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The cynic in me has to come out during this time of year and it always does. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good Christmas song here and there and one of the songs I sing year round is actually “Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer” a Christmas song. But I always think that Christmas is a little overrated. Maybe it’s the fact that my mother has to go to work to fulfill the needs of greedy people who just can’t help but shop on Holidays or maybe it’s the fact that it is about the gifts and the time away from school. Not exactly about spending time with Family. And during that haze of unwanted opinions and feeling sickly full of whatever food you were asked to help make for six hours, there is a moment in which you think “yeah this is nice, this feels good” and however fleeting the moment is it is there and it is usually an unexpected moment. Maybe it’s the moment in which the food comes out of the oven and you can smell it all over the house, or maybe it’s the moment in which you wake up Christmas morning and your mom is sitting in the living room with a blanket and you want nothing more than to cuddle with her and tell her all about your troubled young adult life, or maybe it’s the moment that you are getting ready for the festivities and you look in the mirror and finally accept yourself. But those moments are there and I personally believe that those are what make Christmas worth it. Aside from all the things I just mentioned in my angst filled rant, Christmas music always tends to be a little backwards, creepy, or cringy. So I put together a list of anti Christmas songs, that make me feel warm inside. Hope you enjoy!

• Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight Tonight)- Ramones
  • I Won’t Be Home For Christmas- Blink- 182
  • You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch- Misfits
  • Island of Misfit Toys- Misfits
  • Xmas Sux- Frank Iero

my personal favorite

• Christmas Vacation- The Descendents
  • Fuck Christmas- Fear
  • Father Christmas- The Kinks

I sure do love Christmas, how about you guys!?

just a preamble