7 Up-and-Coming Pop Singers From Around the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

We all love great music, and whether it be Pop, Hip Hop, or Rap, it’s always great to discover an up-and-coming artist that nobody really knows about. To help you with your search for that great new tune, I have assembled a list of seven up-and-coming Pop acts that you are sure to love, without sacrificing your integrity. The acts I will be featuring are not only fun to listen to, but they are acclaimed by fans and critics alike! As Americans, too often we are exposed to the same artists, and rarely do we hear an international artist on the radio. So, every artist I will be featuring is from a different country. Take a trip around the world with me, and discover some great new tunes along the way.

[pagebreak]

1. The first artist I will be featuring, before we leave the United States, is Chelsea Korka. If you watched the Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search For The Next Doll, you may remember her as the second runner up. She is also dating SkyBlu from LMFAO and was featured in their video for “La La La”. But she is becoming famous in her own right with the release of her new E.P., “Chelsea Korka”. Her dubstep infused, and 90’s influenced, pop jams prove that great pop songs don’t have to resort to party lyrics. She blends loving, sweet lyrics with songs you can dance to, and the result is pure fire. Suggested Tracks: “My All” and “Make Me Feel”
[pagebreak]

2. From the United Kingdom, the next artist I will be featuring is Natalia Kills. Natalia Kills is is a filmmaker as well as singer, so her music videos are especially fun to watch. Her collaborations with frequent Lady Gaga producer, RedOne, have drawn comparisons to Gaga, but her music relies less on theatrics and more on clubby, synthy beats. Watch and enjoy! Suggested Tracks: “Mirrors” and “Wonderland”

[pagebreak]

3. The third artist I will be featuring, Kerli, is one of my all time favorite artists, and hails from the tiny country of Estonia. Kerli is a versatile artist, known for her alternative stylings, and her first album was very dark and rock-infused. For her sophomore effort, due for release this year, Kerli is taking a much more upbeat approach. From the songs I have heard, the clubby, infectious sound she is introducing is fantastic. Probably the best visual artist on this list, Kerli is known for her elaborate outfits and hairpieces. Check out the video for “Army of Love.” She made all of the outfits herself! Suggested Tracks: “Army of Love” and “Walking on Air”

[pagebreak]

4. Moving next to Romania, Inna is a dance-pop artist with club-ready and totally danceable music. It will be next to impossible for you to sit still while listening to her tracks; I dare you to try! Pardon her lack of English language skills and heavy use of auto-tune, as the vocals are there merely to provide window-dressing to the amazing electro beats. Suggested Tracks: “Hot” and “Don’t Let The Music Die”
[pagebreak]

5. Hailing from Norway, this next artist is relatively unknown in mainstream circles, but is loved by critics everywhere. Annie is the retro-dance-pop artist of the group, and I think you will love her 80’s inspired ethereal songs, a la “Sweet Dreams.” She is known for her soft, beautiful voice, and her bold, cheeky lyrics (see “Chewing Gum”). Not music to party to, but great to blast in the car or relax to. She is also a DJ and producer, and has produced several of her own tracks. Look out for her third album, due for release this year. Suggested Tracks: “Songs Remind Me of You,” “Chewing Gum,” “Anthonio”
[pagebreak]

6. Of Chilean descent and born in Denmark, Medina is the queen of danceable breakup music. Don’t break her heart, or she might write a song. However, I am grateful to those who have, as she has produced some of the best club music of the past two years, including the club smasher you may be familiar with, “You and I.” Her style of dance-pop with building synths and polished beats has made for consistently high-quality music. Suggested Tracks: “You and I,” “Gutter,” “Synd for Dig”
[pagebreak]

7. Saving my personal favorite for last, Swedish singer Robyn has done it all, and some may question her placement on a list of up and coming artists. Although Robyn was at the top in of the charts in 1996, at the age of 16, she gave it all up because she felt her music was too controlled by studio executives, and they relegated her music to Sweden. In 2006, she said goodbye to the label completely and started over. She has released her last two albums on her own label, and everything she has touched since then has turned to gold. Her ascent back up the charts has been slow and steady, but her moving lyrics and dance-tinged beats consistently impress critics and fans everywhere, with her two albums ranked as the best Pop albums of the past decade. She can go from comedy and quirk – to substance and heartbreak – to dancing machine, all on one track. Check her out, or find her ruling the charts next year. Suggested Tracks: “Dancing on My Own,” “With Every Heartbeat,” “Indestructible,” and “Cobrastyle”

Although this concludes our trip around the world, this list is in no way comprehensive of all the amazing Pop artists on the rise. There are so many other great artists out there for you to find, and new ones are popping up all the time! I have included a list of my personal favorite tracks from each artist, but each artist has many other tracks that are fantastic but didn’t make the cut. Listen to these, and if you like the artist, search and find more. I hope that you have discovered at least one artist you love, and have some new, great music to put on repeat during spring break, or share with your friends, because that is what music is all about.

Monica Pena is a sophmore at the University of California Riverside and is originally from the valley of San Fernando in the city of Los Angeles. Monica and her room mate Nicole Danille Matinez both enjoy writing and are now Co founders of the UC Riverside Her Campus Branch. Monica dreams of moving to New York and going to Law School. Aside from Law school, she is a fanatic of fashion and writing and also wants to pursue a career in journalism.