This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The Vagina Monologues is an episodic play written by Eve Ensle that has been widely recognized for its perspective and boldness. The purpose behind creating events based on the play has been to raise both awareness about violence against women and money for beneficiaries that are working towards ending this violence. In terms of “V-day” here at UC Irvine, the event has raised over $110,000 and has consistently supported UCI’s own Campus Assault Resource and Education center. V-Day UCI is responsible for putting on the performance of The Vagina Monologues each year and welcomes all who wish to participate. By supporting V-Day it allows the community to bring about and discuss issues that the female community often faces, yet continue to be overlooked.

This year’s V-Day filled the room with a positive contagious atmosphere. It served as a platform which allowed for the breakdown of stereotypes against the female anatomy, as well as a challenge towards socially constructed skepticism. It was a discussion rich in passion and one that provided a way to share stories and express how much we may have in common; after all, we all know someone with a vagina. A recurring theme throughout the night was the advocating for self-acceptance and liberation from “-isms”.

In a culture where most are afraid of discussing these topics, it is quite refreshing to have these issues being addressed.

Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.
...