Style > Beauty

Use It or Lose It: When to Say Goodbye to Your Favorite Beauty Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Whether you are an extreme makeup collector or a simple sunscreen and lip balm enthusiast, it is important to know when to dispose of your beloved beauty products. All beauty products expire and it can be hard to part ways with our favorite items, especially considering how much money we spend on them. Using products on your body that have gone bad can actually be very harmful and can lead to breakouts, rashes, irritations, and infections. With so many different products, it can be overwhelming to keep track of expiration dates and know when exactly something has gone bad. Here is a guide that reveals how long your products really last to help make the process a little easier.

Liquids and Creams – 6-12 months

This includes foundations, concealers, tinted moisturizers, and primers.

Tip: Close the bottles tightly and avoid purchasing products in jars. Jar packagings are actually breeding grounds for bacteria.

Sunscreen – up to 3 years

Tip: Sunscreen is no longer effective after its expiration date. Always check the packaging before purchasing because some have a shorter shelf life than others.

Acne Washes/ Serums – 6 months to a year. 

Powders – 2 years

This includes, eyeshadows, blushed, highlighters, bronzers, and face powders.

Tip: These products typically become flatter and drier over time. If you notice a film developing over the powder, it is definitely time to get rid of it because that film is probably mold.

Lipsticks – 2 years

Tip: Spraying a small bit of alcohol can help sanitize your favorite lipsticks.

Lipgloss – 1 year

Lip balm – 1 year to 5 years depending on ingredients.

Natural lip balms typically last 1 year while products containing SPF may vary.

Tip: Avoid lip balm tins that require you to use your finger to apply. Your fingers can carry germs and dirt that will transfer or grow in the tin.

Mascara – 3-6 months

Tip- Pumping your mascara lets air into the tube which dries the formula out even faster and lets in bacteria. Instead, rotate the wand and scrape along the inside of the tube to pick up product. If your mascara flakes onto your face or irritates your eyes, throw it out.

Liquid and Gel Eyeliner – 6 months

Pencil – 1-3 years 

Tip: Sharpen your pencils before each use to remove the top layer of product that may have collected bacteria.

Nail Polish – 1-2 years 

Tip: Purchase a nail polish thinner to help revive nail polishes that are becoming goopy or thick for a few more wears, but only if the color is still opaque. If it is already separating or changing colors, it is best to toss it. 

Here are a few more tips that you can put into practice to help keep your skin safe and your makeup clean.

– Most beauty products have a symbol that reveals the estimated longevity of the product after it has been opened. Look for this symbol on the packaging:

– Do not share makeup. Sharing makeup is a guaranteed way to share germs.

– Clean makeup tools and brushes regularly to prevent the spread of bacteria and to avoid contaminating new products.

– If you develop an infection throw out the products you were using immediately because the germs can linger on the product and bring back the infection.

– If your product has developed an odor, changed colors, separated, or become different in texture, it is safe to assume it’s gone bad.

– Always wash your hands before using any beauty products on your skin.

– Store your products at room temperature out of direct sunlight. Drawers and makeup bags are ideal. Avoid storing products in the bathroom where it can become humid and ruin them faster.

– Use a marker and stickers to label expiration dates, dates of purchase, or dates that the items were opened directly on the packaging.

Germs multiply over time so older products can become even more damaging as time progresses. When was the last time you went through your beauty stash? Protect yourself by going through your products regularly and disposing of items that can no longer be used. 

Ultimately, use your better judgement when deciding whether or not something is still good enough to use on your face and body. Throwing out old expired makeup doesn’t have to be a tragic experience. In fact, it gives you a chance to try new things and another excuse to spend hours at Sephora :) 

Neena Pesqueda is a third year Literary Journalism and Film and Media Studies double major at the University of California, Irvine. She is a member of the Film Arts Drama Alliance where she works alongside other students to create short films. She also teaches her own section to first year Undecided/ Undeclared students during the fall and winter as a University Studies 1 Discussion Leader. She was raised in the San Fernando Valley and spends her free time reading, writing, and binge watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix.   
...