This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

It is officially spring here in Irvine, with the temperatures finally staying above 70 degrees and Aldrich Park in full bloom. Not only being my favorite of all the seasons, spring is almost equivalent to New Year’s. Normally associated with change and rebirth, it is a time of re-evaluating all aspects of your life. Get a new haircut, clean up your living space, revamp your wardrobe; all of these things are perfect to do now as we leave behind the winter chill and enter sunny skies.

However, clothing is so expensive nowadays. As someone who is trying to weed out clothes that are not getting much love and replacing them with classic staples, I have come to the conclusion that as much as I want to upgrade my style, my wallet is not one of those things I want to clean out this spring. As Earth Day is rapidly approaching, what better way to embrace its key ideals: reducing, reusing, and recycling. Although in this case it is more appropriate to say: upcycling.

1. The T-Shirt Bag

I will be the first to admit that going through my closet I have found so many shirts that look absolutely the same (in my case, I usually fall victim to anything with horizontal stripes). Now do I wear all of these shirts? For the most part, yes, but the real question one needs to ask when reducing their wardrobe is, “do I need this?” As much as I wear them all, I can certainly live with only one navy and white striped shirt. I do not need 10. So what to do with these extra shirts?

Well one option is both functional and eco-friendly. With the new California state law placing a fee on plastic bags in grocery stores, many customers have been turning to reusable totes. Although, many stores are charging anywhere from $5-$20 (pricier ones tend to be lined and more cute) for these bags. While dropping a bill or two on one of them does not seem like much in the long run, if you are feeling thrifty and saving up for that little black dress your closet so desperately lacks, do not buy one. Instead, make one of your own out of one of your old shirts.

To make this reusable tote, start off by turning the shirt inside out. That way, any pattern or graphics on the shirt will be visible on the end product. Next, simply cut off the neckline and sleeves, transforming it into a muscle tank of sorts. Finish it off by tying a knot at the bottom of the shirt and flip it right side out. Quick and easy, this bag also functions as a cute beach bag for when you do not want your purse to get all sandy or faded during a day out in the sun.

*photo courtesy of Mommypotamus*

2. The Classic Cutoffs

What better way to symbolically transition from a winter to spring wardrobe than by turning your old jeans into a hot pair of cutoffs. I cannot be the only one who has too many jeans with the same wash or jeans that just do not quite fit me the way they used to. As long as the waist and the butt of the jeans still fit you, you can turn those accidental ankle-length pants into festival ready attire.

It is kind of self explanatory, but be sure to try on your jeans before taking out the scissors. Take a sharpie or some chalk and mark off where you want to cut. Keep in mind to mark a little bit longer than the desired length because you can always cut shorter, but you cannot add back fabric. Plus with fraying and distressing, it will naturally shorten itself as well.

Once it is cut to the desired length, pull out some tweezers and sandpaper (if you have any laying around). The next step is all up to you: rip them to shreds or keep them tidy and clean, whatever style your wardrobe is missing out on.

*photo courtesy of Kelly Framel*

3. Leggings to Crop Top

Up next is another fast and simple way to transform the old into the new. We all have that pile of leggings scrunched up in our drawer. Whether they built up because of the sheer comfort they provide or you are living out that gym rat lifestyle (or maybe attempted it), there is sure to be a pair somewhere you can spare to update. At least I know I have way too many plain black leggings and could probably live without a couple pairs. Now while this upcycle can work with any sort of legging material, cotton or stretchier fabrics will transition easier. However, this will also work with thicker, sporty materials.

All you need to do is fold the leggings in half and snip a crescent off of the crotch region. The hole created will become the neckline of your top, so make this curve as large or as small as desired depending on your preference. For example, make a larger cut for a more plunging neckline.

After that, just open up the leggings and your new top is complete. The legs of the pants will now function as the sleeves, and the waistband will still cinch in at the waist but will now function as the bottom of the top.

*photo courtesy of Worthy to Know*

4. Statement Shoes

This DIY is not only the most fun in my opinion, but also where you can be the most creative. Embellished shoes of all kinds are currently having their moment on the catwalks of almost every major designer. Ranging anywhere from pearl studded sneakers to crystal encrusted boots, you can take any of your old shoes and give them the TLC they truly deserve.

Plastic gems, rhinestones, pearls, or any other embellishments can easily be found at any major craft store. Grab a pack or two depending on whether you are decorating the entire shoe or maybe just the strap or heel. Let your imagination run wild as there are so many possible options in updating your kicks.

Current trends include fuzzy straps, crystallized heels, and embroidered decals. Just take your embellishments of choice and either hot glue or superglue them in place (check to see which adhesive suits the material of your shoe better). Any material to revamp a simple pair of shoes can seriously make a huge impact and turn a boring outfit into an instant statement.

*photo courtesy of Fashion Grabbers*

Keep in mind that these are only four options, there are still hundreds of other ways you can upcycle your clothes. So the next time you go through your closet, pick out what items you want to show a little bit of love to. Pinterest and trendy boutiques are perfect places for inspiration in transforming any nonessentials into everyday favorites.

For those clothes you end up not upcycling, remember to donate them to a local collection agency or drop them off at a thrift store. Just because you cannot reuse them does not mean someone else out there cannot. Make Earth Day proud and reduce your closet size, reuse and repurpose any old clothes, and then recycle the remaining items at a place in need. Just because you are a fashionista does not mean you cannot also be sustainable and eco-friendly.

Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.
Crystel Maalouf

UC Irvine '18

.