The Ultimate Camping Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

In my family, going camping every summer has been a long standing tradition. As soon as the warm days begin rolling around, I know it is time to start booking the best camping spots. After trial and error, here are a few things that have proven to be fun and efficient when it comes to camping. If you have never been camping, you are definitely missing out. This summer, grab a couple of friends and family and set out into a new adventure, I promise, you’ll thank me later.

1. Research Your Campground

One thing I’ve noticed time after time is that each campground has their own rules and regulations, while some things may be allowed at one site; they may be completely off bounds at another. Before embarking on your trip, make sure to see what the campsite you will be visiting has to offer. Some have kayaking, hiking guides, horseback riding, or even movie nights out under the stars. My personal favorite is Pinecrest Lake!

2. Make a Checklist

When going camping, sometimes it may feel like you are taking half of your home with you. Yet, typically less is better. When you are out in nature you want to make sure to take advantage of the beautiful scenery, the smell of fresh pine trees and the time spent with those around you.

Making a checklist prior to beginning your packing ensures that you only bring the essentials. It also helps if you organize things you are bringing by category, that way when you arrive you know exactly where everything is.  I found a great print out checklist that you can download here.

3. Don’t be afraid to explore your surroundings and try new things

Whether it is trying a new hiking route every day of your trip, trying s’mores for the first time, learning how to light a fire, taking a dip in the cold lake water (brrrrrr…), stargazing, or waking up early enough to watch the sunrise, challenge yourself to have the full experience. After all, those moments will be the most memorable of all. 

4. Most Importantly…

Bring a positive attitude! It is easy to become overwhelmed, exhausted or frustrated when being new to camping, but having a positive outlook on the unraveling of events creates an entirely different experience. As cheesy as it sounds, the more you are willing to put into the trip, the more rewarding it’ll be. Have fun and stay safe.

Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.
...