The Try Guys ‘Try’ UC Irvine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The Try Guys officially “tried UCI” on Feb. 4, 2016. Before Keith, Ned, Eugene, and Zach—The Try Guys—were able to take the stage, the crowd was excited just to be in the room filled with great energy and enthusiasm. After everyone was settled in, the Try Guys made their grand entrance, and as soon as they set foot in the Pacific Ballroom, the crowd began to cheer. The Try Guys eventually made it up to the stage and took their seats. Katie LeBlanc, their producer, joined them on stage to ask The Try Guys questions that the audience had submitted beforehand.

The audience was laughing nonstop throughout the event, and every bit of comedy seemed to come so naturally to the Try Guys. Although they were answering questions about their lives and jobs at Buzzfeed, they managed to keep the audience engaged and bursting into laughter. Each member of the group lived up to the expectations everyone is used to seeing in the videos. They all joked about Eugene taking three hours to fix his hair, Ned being “born with a wedding ring,” Zach being super hairy, and Keith loving chicken so much that he ended up bringing a rotisserie chicken with him on stage. They discussed their favorite videos which ranged from the “The Try Guys Get Prostate Exams” in honor of men’s health week to one of Buzzfeed’s most viewed videos, “Women’s Ideal Body Types over History.”  

Aside from all the good jokes and laughs, the Try Guys did discuss other aspects of their lives. Before they joined Buzzfeed, they all attended college and received their respective degrees. All four guys started working for Buzzfeed two years ago as interns, and had to work their way up to the positions they have now. Ned and Keith used to originally edit videos and do “behind the scenes” work, while Zach and Eugene were more invested in making videos and being in front of the camera. They eventually “met in the middle” and now they all work in front of the camera and “behind the scenes.”

When making the videos, they always keep in mind about the audience and the trending topics online. At the end of the day, they want their videos to be shared, whether it is to put a smile on someone’s face or to make people feel included. Apart from trying new things and making videos documenting their experiences, their main goal is to send out a positive message. They truly believe that what they are doing now at Buzzfeed is to help cast a light on trying things outside the norm. They want their viewers to embrace the thought of taking chances to create new experiences and memories, just like they have been able to do together.

Seeing the Try Guys interact with each other live just proved how well they get along both on and off camera. They are genuine guys who truly care about making videos that will reach across a variety of people and spread important lessons along the way.

Crystel Maalouf

UC Irvine '18

.
...