Transferring From Great to Greatest: 5 Tips for the Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Entering a university as a transfer student from a community college is different from starting as an incoming freshman. Not only do you feel overwhelmed by a bigger campus and larger classroom sizes, but you also have to transition to a new city and different people. You feel intimidated from the other students that have been here since freshman year, for they know more about the school. However, you should not feel discouraged because being a transfer student is a meaningful and unique experience, so you should cherish these next few years with genuine care. Here are five tips to help you get started off in the best way possible for your new year as a transfer.

1. Be proud that you are a transfer student.

During my first quarter, I had met other transfer students who were afraid to tell non-transfer students they transferred from a community college. A good thing to remember is that nobody cares, so nobody is going to belittle you if you are a transfer student. You are a student, and that is all what matters. Be proud and grateful you are in the position you are in today because many community college students do not transfer to a university, but you did!

2. Take advantage of your experiences from before you were a transfer student.

Two great things that you already have is that you’ve already experienced some of “the real world” outside of college and you may be a bit older than your usual 21-year old college senior. Therefore, use these advantages and give advice to your new friends or roommates who are experiencing some serious real world issues for the first time. They will be grateful, and you will be making a difference in a friend’s life.

3. Get involved.

Join clubs, research projects, internships, or even Greek life. You also want to regularly participate in class and attend office hours. My personal experience of getting more involved is it leads to many new growing experiences, friendships, and job opportunities. 

4. Don’t be intimidated with the schoolwork.

Even though you are no longer in a community college, it does not mean all the study and time management skills you have learned there are no longer useful. Continue to use them because if they were not effective in the first place, you would not be here. Just like a community college, a university has loops to go through for graduation, but they are only different loops, and nothing to be afraid of.

5. Most importantly, don’t forget to enjoy yourself.

Make time for whatever is fun and relaxing to you in your busy schedule. Even though getting good grades and studying are essential, so is having the best college experience of your life. So go meet new people and dive into experiences you have never had before. Do not be afraid to take risks because that is what college is for.

Lex Garcia

UC Irvine

Lex is a junior at University of California, Irvine and is majoring in Film & Media studies with an emphasis in creative writing. She has been published in the Chiron Review, Atwood Magazine, and The Left Coast Review. She is a lover of flowers, dogs, and coffee. When she is not writing or reading, she is usually outside with her camera escaping the city.
...