Three Steps For A Successful Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Although it seems absurd to set your summer plans when the academic year just started a few days ago, a summer internship is actually an exciting and highly impactful experience to look forward to, and it is never too soon to plan ahead. In fact, considering how competitive any given field of work is, the time it takes to research and find the perfect internship, it is better to start thinking about what you want to do now rather than later.  The opportunities and take-away from an internship are limitless. For example, there is the possibility of living in a new city, exploring different interests, networking, and much more. Internships are a great way to travel, learn, and grow and if you’re looking for the chance to work towards something or reach a certain career goal—this will help you get there.  In many cases, an internship that challenges and engages you can be a real game changer that either uncovers an unexpected passion, or satisfies goals you have always wanted to achieve. If you want to have an internship like this, then here are some tips that can help.

Preparing and succeeding in an internship can be broken down into three phases.

The first stage of prepping for an internship is research; start out by researching a variety of fields. Make a list of companies, non-profits, etc. that sound enjoyable and beneficial, not just because they complement your major but also because they intrigue and inspire. After you have completed some research and a small list (about ten different sites or so), prioritize jobs that you are the most compelling. Once you have your list, make sure to start by applying to lower priority places! Work your way up to the high priority applications, and as a result you will be more comfortable in the interviewing process and confident in your application.

During your application process, be sure to utilize campus resources and take advantage of the career center advisors! There are plenty of workshops, programs, and practice interviews that can help you improve your application and offer guidance.

Once you have gone through the interviewing process, the next step is to decide on an internship that suits you and finish all the necessary arrangements. Making arrangements is the easier part of executing your plans, especially if you choose a site close, but if you don’t want to worry about having to find your own housing UCDC is a great option. UCDC is the University of California District of Columbia internship program that provides all the housing resources you need, and provides advising for internships in Washington D.C. Nevertheless, the more important part of this phase is deciding which internship is best for you. This can be the most challenging part of the application process, because although you may have been accepted by your top priority site, you might have gathered more interest in other sites during interviews or received better offers. Take the time to reevaluate and go with the job you feel will be most profitable for you.

Finally, the best part of this whole process will be the work and relationships you get out of this internship. Wherever you go, have fun and be open to taking on assignments you have never encountered before. Communicate with your supervisors. Do not be afraid to ask questions, and be sure to ask for tasks every day! Whether you just want to check if your co-workers need help with any projects, or you want more of a challenge, keep yourself busy and active. An unfamiliar assignment may look intimidating at first, but soon you will be able to thrive outside of your comfort zone, which is probably the most valuable reward of any internship.

Having a successful internship does not necessarily have to mean that you interned at the White House and became best friends with Obama, so much to the point that he himself invited you to meet his pet dog, Bo. If you put yourself outside your comfort zone, meet new people, and learn from your mistakes, then you already have what it takes to succeed.