Things to Do Instead of Coachella #NOchella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Let’s be rational about the Coachella craze. We are college students, we slave over homework, and we have demanding jobs and internships. What student of this description has the time and money to go to Coachella? (If you do, please tell us how you do it!) Sure, it is the music festival of the year, and we all somewhat envy those friends who are able to go. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun without Coachella. This article is for the #NOchella students out there who don’t want to splurge on a $500 Coachella ticket.

1. Here at Irvine, endless scenes of national beauty surround us. Who needs a music festival in the middle of a desert when you can go for a beach hike at Crystal Cove? While you’re at it, why not spend the day getting lost in the shops of Huntington Beach? Ever been to Balboa Island? Give their famous frozen banana a try.

2. Get lost on the Pacific Coast Highway blasting your tunes. Got a friend with a car? Split the gas money and take a day trip along Highway 1, playing your favorite artists along the way. Open the sunroof, grab your favorite sunglasses, and breathe in that fresh April ocean air. Feel free to make stops along the way at local cafes, beaches, or trails.

3. Go shopping! Just because you aren’t going to Coachella doesn’t mean you can’t dress like it. Are you on a budget? Gather a group of your friends together and check out some local thrift stores. You will be shocked with what you find. (Santa Ana has no shortage of thrift stores).

4. A movie and game night hosted by…you! Treat your friends with a planned evening. Pick up some simple treats or make your own snacks. Text a few of your friends, and let the fun begin!