This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

One of the biggest problems with studying is not knowing where to start. While some subjects may be self-explanatory or come naturally, others are trickier.  Here are some of my favorite tips for acing even the most challenging of exams!

Foreign Language: When it comes to mastering a new language, reading and writing require totally different skill sets. You may know the meaning of a word you hear or read, but knowing how to spell it is a whole different ball game. Practice writing out unfamilar words and verb conjugations using a white board. This is an easy way to see the little mistakes, like a missed accent mark.  Practice makes perfect, so erase and start over whenever neccesary. This method will be extremely useful when you have a written exam.

Math: Most people are stumped when it comes to studying for math tests. I have found the most effective way to study this difficult subject is to redo your homework.  Do your homework problems, including the unassigned problems in the book, repeatedly.  This will help the concepts sink in.  Just because you understand something in class does not mean you should neglect to study it later. This is where you can double your use of the white board. You can purchase a whiteboard that is plain on one side and has a pre-made graph on the other. You will save tons of paper by practicing on the board and will not have to tediously redraw graphs every time you want to do a problem. An added bonus? The white board is sturdy so you can study in your bed or on the couch versus only at your desk. 

English: English courses can be a reprieve from studying. Papers are the norm, but this doesn’t mean they are easier than exams. To help ease the writing process, try going digital. Download a digital copy of a text onto a tablet or computer and take advantage of the super helpful features.  Before reading, try and gauge an idea about what will be expected for your big paper. For example, if you have to discuss certain themes, keep an eye out for them during reading. Obvious, right?  But flagging fifty different pages can make it difficult to find what you are looking for.  When you use a digital copy, highlight the quote you want to use and add a note for which theme it belongs to.  Then go to the notes section on your digital copy and look for the ones tagged with the theme you are looking for.  You will have all of your evidence collected when you are ready to write.  Similarly, you can download an app called Digolet onto your internet browser.  Digolet collects all of your research, saving all notes and highlights for a project, which means you will never have to frantically search for a source you can’t remember.

What are your best tricks for success?  Share below!

Jacqueline is Literary Journalism and Digital Art student at the University of California Irvine. She will be graduating next spring and hopes to work in fashion.
...