Simon Harrison ‘17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Name: Simon Harrison ’17

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Hometown: Santa Cruz, California but I was born in Kawasaki, Japan

Relationship status: Very single but I’m in a long distance relationship with my cat. 

Major/majors: Dance Choreography and Education Sciences. 

Campus Involvements: Co-chair of Bare Bones Dance Theater, Interim Student Liaison for Dance Department (CSAC), Anteater Ambassador Network, Claire Trevor School Student Ambassador, Local Outreach coordinator for Movement Exchange, Insight Jazz Dance Ensemble, Interface Modern Dance Ensemble, and Peer Academic Advisor for Claire Trevor. 

Hobbies: I enjoy dancing, working with youth, and getting ice cream with friends in the middle of the night… And looking up cute cat pictures on Google. 

What is a typical day like for you?  I snooze at least three times, throw on some dance sweats and a shirt, brush my teeth and grab something to eat for my walk to school for breakfast. Tuesday’s and Thursday’s I go from 9:30-6:30 with a 30 minute lunch break but Monday/Wednesday/Friday I start at 8 am and I’ll have a 3 hour break in which I’ll catch up on homework (watch Netflix and eat). After school, I usually have a rehearsal or a meeting for various extracurricular activities 

How do you balance everything? *chuckles* I have a good planner and I write a lot of lists. I have a good sense of humor and I give myself something to look forward to everyday whether it’s a nap or something to eat. 

Any pet peeves? Mm. So many but whenever this question comes I always forget them. I have no-no squares where I don’t like to be touched. (Basically, sections of his body where he doesn’t want to be touched) When dancers walk in turn-out (rotation of the legs which comes from the hips) since it’s really bad for your knees. And when people walk slowly on ring road 

Where do you like to shop? Trader Joe’s for groceries and second-hand stores for cool clothes or home decor. 

What inspired the Mohawk? Future hairstyles? I’ve done the Mohawk before and it was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing right before finals week of Spring 2015. But I’m planning to grow it out so that I could tie it into a pony tail while keeping the sides buzzed. Like a samurai. 

Favorite ice-breaker story? I was born on a couch in an apartment in Japan. 

Current Netflix obsession? The Flash and The Office. Always. 

Who inspires you, artistically or professionally?  Gene Kelly was one of my first big dance inspirations. A lot of my peers inspire me to push myself. Peers who have graduated opened my eyes to the many options I have, post-graduation. 

Books or movies? Movies. But I wish I had more time to read for pleasure. 

Coffee and tea or juices and smoothies? Juices and smoothies. Hands down. I like green juices or smoothies. Or anything with peanut butter. 

Favorite snacks? Trader Joe’s trail mix and the Japanese snacks my mom sends me in care packages. 

How do you unwind after a long day? Netflix. And a big meal. 

Cats?  I’ll take eight. 

Luis Lugo

UC Irvine

Luis is a 4th year at UC Irvine, majoring in Lit. Journalism and minoring in Film and Media Studies. His main interests and hobbies include dance in styles such as ballet, jazz, and hip hop as well as horror movies, dogs, burgers, yoga, tea, and roller coasters !
...