Scotty “Kardashian” Cunha: Celebrity Hair Genius

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

If you really want to know what a celebrity is like, ask their hairstylist. That is exactly what I did when I had the pleasure of talking to Scotty Cunha. He is a hair genius with one of the best personalities I have ever encountered. The type where you immediately feel like you’re BFF’s. He accredits his extremely likeable personality for being the reason he has so many high profile clients. His impressive clientele includes all the Kardashian/Jenners, Lucy Hale, Kristin Cavallari, Miley Cyrus and many more.

Moving away from home at 19, Scotty was on a mission to become a killer celebrity hairstylist. Luckily for him, and us, (all hail the hair genius), he made a name for himself. From touring with Miley and now currently working with all the Kardashian/Jenners, Scotty is all about good vibes. I think it’s safe to say that he is living his best life.

Can you tell us a little about yourself and how you got started?

In high school I was way too cool for school and didn’t want to finish. I was very artistic and I knew that going to college was not going to be the answer for me. I didn’t know if I wanted to do makeup or hair but I knew I wanted to do something with my hands. I wanted to do celebrity’s hair so I moved to LA at 19 and went to beauty school for a couple months. I could not get a job anywhere at any salon so I worked at Starbucks in West Hollywood. It was so much work and the hardest job I’ve ever had to this day. While I was there, I would keep dropping off my resume everywhere in Beverly Hills because that was the only place I wanted to work. It was the place to be at the time. I would call and call different salons. Finally, I got a call back to work at the front desk at José Eber, which was the spot at the time. I worked there for a while and then left to work on a reality show. After the reality show, I really felt like I needed a shift. Luckily, a girl that I am very close to, told Andy LeCompte about me and insisted that he hire me. She was sending him pictures of me while he was on tour with Madonna. I did a test haircut and got the job. That’s kind of how my whole career took off because I met managers, PR girls, and assistants. Eventually I got asked to go on tour with Miley Cyrus. We ended up becoming best friends. I saw her every single day. From there I got an agent and that’s when I met the Kardashians. I know this sounds cliché, but it’s all about your vibes and how people connect with you. You’re on set for 12 hours with someone so if they want to work with you, it’s because they want to hangout with you. You have to connect.

What was your experience like while touring with Miley Cyrus?

It was full on. There was something every single day. I did the last season of Hannah Montana, The Last Song, and her first tour as Miley, not Hannah Montana, which was a really big deal. Looking back, I was only 25 years old and could barely do a beach wave. I don’t know how I went on tour for a year. I was living this whole other life. I was doing all these major photoshoots and had no idea what I was doing. I just went for it and always said yes. My first music video was “Party in the U.S.A.”

I know you touched on this earlier, but can you go into more detail on how you ended up working with the Kardashian/Jenners? Is it as glamorous as it looks?  

This is my favorite story to tell of all time. My agent told me I am going to do this girls hair, Kim Kardashian, for the cover of a magazine and it’s a really big deal. I was like okay, totally. They told me I was doing Kim’s hair but I walked in and she already had her glam done. She basically wanted me to do Kourtney’s hair to make sure I wasn’t a freak. I ended up doing Kourtney’s hair, not Kim’s, but then my second job was with Kim.

Yeah, it is very glam. They film every single day. I’m with Kourtney Monday through Friday. You just become friends with your clients. You are there for their life experiences and they are there for yours. They become your family. I get so much shit because I basically think I’m a Kardashian/Jenner. I’m so sassy when I am traveling with them. I’m like, “where’s my car, where’s my greeter?” I’m such a diva because my life is so glam so whenever I’m not with them, I’m like what’s happening? I am so outrageous, I have to take it down a notch. Like calm down babe, you’re the help.

What are some challenges you have faced in your career?

Checking my bag when traveling because I always have to carry hair stuff. I haven’t really had any major career challenges. I am very lucky, knock on wood. #Blessed.

Who is your favorite client to work with and why?

I’m friends with all the people I work with. I feel very lucky because even if I’m not doing their hair, I still hangout with them. We text and see each other all the time. It’s really hard to chose. I will say though that my favorite out of the Kardashian/Jenners is Kourtney. I always say Kourtney is my favorite because I feel like we are the closest. We are just together the most. I tell everyone that, she knows that.

What is the best part about your job?  

I know it sounds so cheesy, but it just came to me right away, I get to be myself every single day. I am my complete self. I get to be fun and have a career out of doing hair when I’m really just hanging out with my friends and traveling the world. It’s a fun job. I’m just really grateful that I got to make a career out of being fabulous, having dinner/drinks, doing photo shoots, etc. This is how I would live my life anyway, so I’m just lucky I got to make a career out of it. Is that too cheesy? I feel like that was such a cheesy answer. [giggles]

Was there ever a time where you were doing someone’s hair and thought, “sh*t, this is not cute!” How did you recover?

Oh my god yes. When I do talks, I always tell people never second guess yourself. If you’re doing a photoshoot and there is a piece of hair sticking out that is bothering you, go fix it. Don’t be ashamed to say that you need to step in because it will haunt you for the rest of your life. If you’re not happy, do it. That will give me peace at night. Otherwise, when the photo comes out, I will be like, “ugh why didn’t I fix that!”

If your client wants a certain look or hairstyle and you know it’s a bad idea, do you tell them no?

Yes. I am so honest. Like, “no don’t get bangs.” I want people to be honest with me too. Honesty is the best policy. Some people can handle it and some people can’t. You know when to say what and when not to say what.

RAPID FIRE ROUND:

Go-to karaoke song?

“Man! I Feel Like A Woman” by Shania Twain

Designer or vintage?

Designer

Dream client?

Rihanna. Actually I want to be friends with Rihanna, I don’t want to do her hair. Rihanna is my number one, but the person I can do hair with and be professional with is Victoria Beckham. Victoria Beckham is my style icon, I can totally see myself doing her hair.

Best way to get healthy hair?

My two favorite things are coconut oil and Oribe Signature Conditioner. For the conditioner, I tell clients to leave it in for a day.

Go-to Starbucks order?

I feel so bad telling people because it’s so complicated. It’s so extra, but I’ll tell you. Three shots of espresso over ice in a venti cup with three pumps of vanilla and a splash of almond milk. Starbucks is my LIFE.

First celebrity client ever?

Miley Cyrus. That was such a big deal for me.

Big thanks to Scotty, XO.

You can find out more about Scotty at http://theonly.agency/scott-cunha

Keep up with Scotty on Instagram and Twitter