The Science of Pixar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Enter into the world of science and Disney’s Pixar Animation, and not only will you go back in time to childhood favorites such as Toy Story and It’s a Bug’s Life, you’ll learn the way these movies were created and how one scene took up to 33 hours to bring to life. Did I mention there’s a student discount? Grab some friends and walk into the worlds of the characters we have all learned to love.

This exhibit, The Science Behind Pixar is at the California Science Center in Exposition Park, until April 6, 2017. The 12,000 square foot exhibit provides a behind the scenes look into what it takes to make these movies that we love so much! It’s all interactive and has over 40 activities, the most I waited to do an activity was two to three minutes. These activities incorporate art, math, science and basic programming that allows the participant to be a character or an animator.

Almost each activity is geared towards a movie, and my favorite activity was in the Cars section, and it was the do it yourself car hood. I could choose from different colors for paint, different patterns for accents and logos to put on top. The purpose of the activity was to create a hood and show how there are endless possibilities to creating characters in a film.

I don’t want to give away too much, because each experience is different, but all of these Pixar films are true works of art, and the amount of time and work put into these movies is truly amazing. If you have time, swing by and who knows who you’ll meet when you go. You’ll be swept away in childhood memory, all brought to you by Disney’s Pixar Animation Studios.

Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.