That Roomie Life Though: Dealing with Different College Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

1. The “Don’t Wanna Do a Thing” Roomie

We have all had the lazy roommate who lets their dishes pile up for days and leaves stuff sprawled out around the room. For this roome, a simple feat like taking out the trash once a week is out of the question.

• Step #1: Do not blow up at them. Yelling will only make things awkward for everyone. You’re all in college and mature enough to understand the struggles of school, a social life, and for some, a job or two.

• Step #2: Do offer to set up a roomie “pow-wow” time to discuss dispersing regular chores and working together to keep your home a happy and clean one.

• Step #3: If the problem seems to continue, have a one on one sit down expressing the severity of the problem. Make it clear that you are trying to compromise and want everyone to have the best housing experience together.

1. The “Momma for Life” Roomie

Sometimes, a roomie walks into your life and tries to be a second mother: They keep tabs on your actions, whereabouts, and every life decision you make, even picking out your clothes! (Okay, not quite so motherly).

• Step #1: Understand that they usually have your best interest and safety in mind. Moms want to know your 24-7 plan of action and maybe they just want a little practice for mom-hood.

• Step #2: Try to discuss ahead of time a brief layout of some outings and work that you need to do for the week so that they are not having a heart attack every time you are not home and tucked into bed by 10 p.m.

• Step #3: If it seems like you will be out until all hours of the night, send a quick text or have a group message to easily keep all roomies in the loop.

1. The “Clicky/ Groupies” Roomie

You might face a situation where you are the odd one out in a group of roomies involved in the same organization or club. Don’t let this keep you from being a part of one big, happy roomie circle of life.

• Step #1: Don’t shy away from your roomies because they are involved in something that you aren’t. It’s okay to have different interests.

• Step #2: Keep in mind that a lot of on-campus organizations have various events that are open invitation for other students (like you) to attend.

• Step #3: Feel free to invite your roomies to anything that you are involved in so they know that you want to be able to enjoy their company, both inside and out of home.

1. The “Loud/Party Hardy” Roomie

Even if your roomie does not understand the concept of “inside voices,” slams doors during your precious sleep hours, brings over their whole contact list late at night, or even comes back after more than a few too many drinks, remain calm.

• Step #1: Set some ground rules for times and days that guests can come over and be sure to send a speedy text in the roomie group message so everyone has the 4-1-1.

• Step #2: There are going to be nights where a roomie needs to go to bed early due to midterms, papers, projects, etc. Make sure to let everyone know ahead of time of the need for beauty sleep and emphasize that you can all party together next weekend because obviously you still like to have a good time.

• Step #3: Talk with your roomies about general respect for one another. You’re all living together in one home and deserve another’s cooperation. After all, you’re (typically) only in college once so make it the experience of a lifetime.

Sarah Ahern is a sophomore at UC Irvine studying literary journalism. Aside from writing for HerCampus, she interns for the self-help website DreamitAlive.com. In her free time, she enjoys writing, playing tennis, and baking.
Gabriella is currently a 2nd year Literary Journalism Major and Humanities and Law Minor at the University of California, Irvine. 
...