Robert Dunn: Because One Isn’t Enough

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

For a second year student at UCI, being a part of the executive board of any organization is already a big deal, especially to be president. Balancing everything is a challenge. However, Robert Dunn was willing to take on that challenge. His aim for presidency was not just in one organization, but two! Not to mention, he is a double major in Biomedical Engineering and Psychology and Social Behavior. Talk about being an achiever.

Since he just started his second year, it wasn’t too hard for him to reminisce about his first year. “I love UCI!” he exclaimed, with eyes wide open and a huge smile. He mentioned that everything was completely not as he expected it to be. Although he though people were all about independence and concentrated on competition, he has since discovered that people are nice and help each other.

His best memory so far comes from his experience with the Summer Institute for Sustainability Leadership (SISL) and Summer Multicultural Leadership Institute (SMLI). As an incoming freshman, he feared not having friends because hardly any students from his high school planned to attend UCI. He felt lucky to be accepted to both these programs because he not only developed his leadership skills but he also networked with older students who helped him get to where he is now, many who are now his closest friends. 

His favorite part about being president of Government of Undergraduate Student Housing (GUSH) is that he is able to represent a large body of students and advocate for their needs and wants. He is passionate about being able to represent students and make a difference in their college experiences because it has to be done right. As president of GUSH, he has a better chance to present residents’ concerns to the professional staff. As he says, “It is such an honor just to be in the same room as the professional staff, let alone have meetings with them.”

Robert’s favorite part about being iSign President is the opportunity to expose UCI to a culture that is less prevalent: deaf culture. To some, American Sign Language (ASL) is not considered a language. However, upon studying it, you learn it is not only a legitimate language, but there is a whole culture and history that is not being recognized.

His main goal for GUSH is to develop a greater unity among the four housing communities: Arroyo Vista, Campus Village, Mesa Court, and Middle Earth. Even though each community has its own cultures and traditions, it would be better if they could share their experiences together. For example, if an event held in one community were open to the rest, there would be a larger impact and greater amount of people in attendance. “I want to make UCI Housing shine!” As for iSign, he simply wants it to gain more exposure. Many people are unfamiliar with the organization, so he wants to work with the members to increase their exposure.

Despite how much he loves his work and how much fun he has doing it, Robert admits that being a double president and a double major is a struggle. He has a packed schedule with classes and meetings, when some days he does not get back home until 10 PM, only then to start his homework. He explains, “The most important thing to know is this is my passion; it is worth it because I love doing it all.” He wants to be an innovator for health care and make it especially available in third world countries. He also wants to understand his patients beyond the medical level, such as their social behavior. By understanding them on a mental level, he will know better how to handle parents and patients.

In the next few years, he hopes to get into research in psychology, biological sciences, or Biomedical Engineering, be involved with the Pacific Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls, travel abroad on a volunteering trip for medicine or engineering, be more involved with ASUCI, and be a Resident Advisor. On being an RA, he describes, “As a freshman, I definitely felt lost at times, and I would have liked someone to be there for me and give me some advice not only in academics but also leadership and how to balance it all.”

Fun fact: I have had stitches in my head twice which is probably what inspired me to pursue a career as a Pediatric Surgeon.

Favorite quote: “Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend. Now I will step forward to realize this wish. And who knows: starting a new journey may not be so hard, or maybe it has already begun. There are many worlds, and they share the same sky – one sky, one destiny.” – Kingdom Hearts II

Robert Dunn with his GUSH Executive Board

Jamrensze De Leon (goes by J-Mi), became a member of Her Campus UCI during Spring 2014. She graduated in June 2017 with a double major in Educational Sciences and Sociology. During her time at UCI, she has held positions such as: Resident Advisor in Middle Earth Housing, Community Assistant in Camino del Sol, the Vice President of Community Council in Middle Earth, a Coordinating Board representative in the Government of Undergraduate Student Housing (GUSH), GUSH's National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) Leadership Development Chair, and more! Some of her hobbies include baking, dancing, writing poetry, being behind and in front of the camera (photography), and other DIY crafts. She is also on instagram (jmi_deleon). You can totally follow her adventures there! She loves being a part of something great, something big, and eventually wants to use all the skills she’s learned and make a difference in the world. So why UCI? Because she fell in love with it. She loves the vibe, the people, the park in the middle of campus, and the fact that the campus goes in a circle. Random Fun Fact: She and Hello Kitty have the same birthday. That might be the reason she loves the color pink so much!
...