photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Questions I Get Asked When I Come Home for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Source: giphy.com

A quick disclaimer: I love all of my family, they’re amazing and I wouldn’t be anywhere without them and but I’m nowhere near perfect…and neither are they. I love being home for the holidays, but every year I get the same questions/comments from some extended family I only see around the holidays. Some of these questions/comments are…well… allow me to demonstrate a typical interaction with me and my extended family.

Relatives: You’re back from school! How’s that going?

What I say:  Yeah it’s good!

What I really want to say: I’m exhausted all the time, I haven’t slept since summer.

Relatives: Are you still studying writing? What are you going to do with that?

What I say: Literary Journalism, and well hopefully journalism or marketing or something in media, I’m still trying to figure that out… (nervous laughter).

What I really want to say: Yeah I need help, I have no idea what I’m doing with my life.

Relatives: Well how are your grades? I heard your cousin got straight A’s last quarter.

What I say: That’s good, yeah I think I’m doing pretty well.

What I really want to say: Well good for him…I’m pretty sure I bombed my midterms and the only thing that can save my grades now are my finals…no pressure or anything.

Then I’ll always get that one relative that will go on and on about all my other cousins and how amazing and fabulous their life is right now, for example here’s a hypothetical–yet typical interaction.

Relatives: Your cousin just got a job at a hospital!

What I say: Oh that’s cool, I’m actually working now too it’s a…

Relatives: And she’s doing so many other things to apply for medical school

What I say: Well that great and…

Relatives: And she told me that she might have a job lined up after college.

What I say: She does? I…

Relatives: And she has a boyfriend now!

What I say: That’s great.

Source: giphy.com

And the most popular question

Relatives: Do you have a boyfriend yet?

What I say: Nope still single

What I really want to say:  Thanks for reminding me I’m single again, also when did I need to have a boyfriend?

Relatives: Well you’ll meet someone soon.

What I say: *smiles and nods*

What I really want to say: Psh, I’m a strong independent woman that don’t need a man.

And occasionally from those special relatives I’ll get a

Relatives: Wow, you look a little bigger, do you cook for yourself? I bet you always go out to eat fast food.

OR I’ll get

Relatives: Wow, you look skinnier, are your eating? Do you cook for yourself? I bet you always go out to eat.

And for both comments I’ll say

Source: giphy.com

What I say: (Politely smile) Well…I can cook and I like going out to eat with my friends.

What I actually want to say: SCREAMING

Source: giphy.com

Long story short: Just breathe, they love you …I’ll, I mean, we’ll get through this.

...