Putting Yourself First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

We all have to-do lists. Whether its written in our agenda, typed into our phone, or mentally kept note of, there is always so much to do with what feels like so little time. Sometimes we become too consumed in our busy schedules and responsibilities that we forget about the one thing that should be at the top of every to-do list: self care.

Self care can be different for everybody. The main idea is that you take some time to put yourself first and step away from any cause of stress or worrying. Self care revolves around loving yourself and doing activities that soothe your mind and soul. Choosing yourself is the most important decision you can make to live a healthy lifestyle. With so many ways to practice self care, we decided to give you a short list of ideas for inspiration.

1. Watch your favorite movie or show

Whether it’s one episode or one season, watching your favorite show is a great way to distract your mind from any stressful aspects of your life.

2. Spend time with loved ones

Hanging out with people you love is one way to refresh yourself with positive energy.

3. Take a nap

If you’ve been running on little sleep and coffee, one of the best ways to take care of yourself is to take a nap and rest. Your mind, body, and soul will thank you.

4. Apply a face mask

While you’re taking care of your mind, don’t forget to take care of your skin. Face masks are a perfect way to relax and show love to your beautiful face.

5. Listen to music

Listen to songs that make you feel good and don’t be afraid to dance around and sing at the top of your lungs.

6. Go for a walk

Sometimes going outside and getting some fresh air is all we need to make our day better.

7. Bake yourself some cookies

Find a tasty recipe online or simply pick up some cookie dough on your way home. Baking cookies is a sweet way to comfort yourself after a long week.

8. Buy a new nail polish

New nail polish is always exciting. Buying a new polish in a pretty color is a nice and inexpensive way to treat yo’ self.

9. Call a friend

If you don’t have time to hang out with loved ones, call a friend and just chat. You’ll be surprised how much a single phone call can brighten up your day.

10. Wear soft clothes

One way to be kind to your body is to put on some soft and comfortable clothing to lounge in. It’s the perfect way to get yourself in the relaxing-mood.

We hope this list inspires you to take some time off and practice self care. You deserve it!

Natalia Cabrera

UC Irvine '18

Hi! My name is Nat and I am a third year student at UC Irvine. I'm proud to call sunny Los Angeles my hometown.  I love being a tourist in my own city; going to museums, trying new places to eat, and exploring locations for cute photo-ops! 
Crystel Maalouf

UC Irvine '18

.