Prarthana Somaiah: Making Her Mark

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Prarthana is a third year attending UCI, making her mark on the world in her own way. 

Tell me about yourself, and your road to UCI?

I was born in LA and grew up in Orange County with my two sisters. I’ve Played soccer since I was five years old and I love country music. During the summer before my senior year of high school, I did a pre-medical program at UC Irvine and fell in love with the campus! That is when I decided that I wanted to attend this school, and I’m so glad I did.

What is your major, and why did you decide to pursue it?

I am majoring in Public Health Sciences. As a pre-med student, I wanted to do something different from the typical Bio major route. I really like having other career options, just in case medical school doesn’t work out.

I know you are very involved on campus, tell me a little more about that?

I do stem cell research at the UCI School of Medicine. Our main purpose is to solve retinal degeneration, which is apparent in older age groups. I am also a Community Assistant at Camino del Sol. I love working with residents and providing them with resources to enhance their living and academic experience at UCI. I recently joined a sorority (shoutout to Tri-Delta) and I am very passionate about our philanthropy with St.Jude’s Childrens Hospital.

What is your favorite memory at UCI so far?

My favorite memories would definitely be from my dorming experience in Mesa Court. At first, I was nervous about being a freshman and not knowing anyone. Fortunately, I ended up becoming really close friends with my hallmates. I enjoyed hanging out, eating, and going to class with them. It was always a fun time!

Fun Questions:

What is your Starbucks order?

Venti black tea with light ice, an inch of breve, six pumps of classic, and six pumps of vanilla

Favorite study spot?

The empty classrooms in the Business School

Current Netflix favorites?

Gossip Girl, Friends, and One Tree Hill

What is the one thing you can’t live without?

My family and friends

Natalia Cabrera

UC Irvine '18

Hi! My name is Nat and I am a third year student at UC Irvine. I'm proud to call sunny Los Angeles my hometown.  I love being a tourist in my own city; going to museums, trying new places to eat, and exploring locations for cute photo-ops!