Karena Phan: Taking UCI by Storm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Karena Phan is a third year Literary Journalism major, and a writer for Her Campus UCI. She is extremely involved on campus, and is on her way to accomplish great things. From holding a position in ASUCI to being a marketing assistant for KUCI, Karena is taking UCI by storm. Keep in eye out for Karena as she cotinues her journey at UCI! 

Tell me about yourself, and your road to UCI?

My name is Karena Phan, and I’m from Sacramento, CA. My journey to UCI was simple, I wanted to go to school in Southern California because I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. When applying for colleges I never thought I would be at UCI, but now in my third year, I’m proud to be an anteater and happy with the many opportunities this campus has given me. 

What is major, and why did you decide to pursue it?

I’m currently a 3rd year majoring in Literary Journalism major with a minor in Digital information systems. In high school I really wanted to pursue degree in engineering or computer science. When I came into UCI, I was Undeclared but I immediately took all the computer science classes I could take, but I ended up falling in love with my Writing and Political Science classes. I’ve always had a passion for reading and being a literary journalism major I’ve developed a passion for storytelling. I hope in the future to pursue a career in media or anything communications. 

I know you are involved in a few organizations on campus, tell me a little more about that?

Well, I love being a writer for Her Campus because it really gives me a creative outlet. I love writing about news, feminism, and about my passions at Her Campus and I love writing for a platform the promotes empowerment of women! I’m also a part of ASUCI as the Media and Communication Co-Commissioner under Office of the President, (shameless plug) follow us on IG @asuci_op, and I’m a Marketing Intern at UCI Applied Innovation, which is an entrepreneur center on campus where UCI research collaborates with OC businesses. And I’m also a Marketing Assistant for the KUCI News team check out our SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/kucinews So needless to say UCI has given me a lot of opportunities to be involved on campus. 

Fun Questions:

Would you rather see the world in numbers or words?

Definitely, words, even though numbers are more simple, I think words can be more powerful. 

If you could see an event past present or future what would it be?

I would love to go to Comic Con in SD, one day. I was lucky enough to go to Wonder Con this year and I loved it. Or Book Con in New York, conventions are a fun time! 

What would you name the autobiography of your life?

A Phangirl, trying to get her life together

Crystel Maalouf

UC Irvine '18

.