Ioannis Dimakopoulos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Seven feet and two inches full of passion for basketball is one of University of California Irvine’s finest, Power Center/Forward, Ioannis Dimakopoulos.  Basketball has been part of his life even before he was born. The man, who taught him all the fundamentals about the sport, was his father, Dimitris Dimakopoulos, a former basketball player on Greece’s professional national team, Panathinaikos. He would soon follow in his father’s footsteps and join the same club.  “I’ve been playing basketball for nine years, and I would always go to the practices my father coached.” The two were often compared in newspapers, “Like father like son”. While playing for the Panathinaikos, he averaged 15 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 block each game. And with a top score of 26 at his best game, Dimakopoulos signed a national letter of intent with UCI in 2012.

Dimakopoulos is from Greece’s third largest urban area, Patras. Although very different from Irvine, he joined the Anteater’s because he likes the academics, the facility, the basketball court, and the experiences the coaches acquire. “I went to one of the basketball practices at UC Irvine which I really enjoyed because the coaching staff is magnificent. I wouldn’t want to choose any other coaches. I also like the diversity amongst the students on campus.” He is currently undeclared, but is interested in possibly pursuing a degree in sociology or criminology.

At a game on Saturday, January 11, at the University of California Riverside, Dimakopoulos contributed to the win with 6 points. He says in order to do well one must have confidence, especially in a sport like basketball. Every athlete has their own way of mentally preparing themselves for game day. Some athletes prep by talking to themselves in the mirror, but for Dimakopulos, it’s putting on some headphones, and listening to music. “Before a game, I like to listen to slow music to get my head in the game. But when I am on the basketball court, there is no more slow music, only pump-up music.”  

As a whole, Dimakopulos believes for a team to be successful, each member has to show respect for one another, work together, and “have each other’s backs.” He says, “our bond is strong like a brotherhood because we spend almost six hours every day working out, and then hanging out.  Sometimes we have the same classes because we have the same schedules. My teammates are like my best friends, we listen to each other’s opinions and respect each other.” His teammates serve as his motivation to perform his best on the court, because he expects the same from them. “We push each other to our maximum level.  It is important to perform well because my teammates and I train so hard each day so that we are prepared to win the games.” 

While on a team, there are sacrifices one must make, but to Dimakopulos, “It’s just life”. The distractions that come along with college, such as parties, do not affect him.  This sport is his passion, and what he lives for.  “For me, it’s like, sorry guys, I’m not going to the party, I’m going back home.”  He says going to parties is not as important as sleeping, and being ready for practice the next day. Having the opportunity to be in America to learn and to play on a national division I team is top priority. “Sure, I don’t have time for parties or movies right now, but that can wait, I can still watch a movie when I’m thirty-five.” 

Being 6833.8 miles away from home, the basketball star misses his family, friends, and pita bread. He has one younger brother, George, 11, who looks up to him as a role model and likes to imitate him in everything except sports.  “If I get up to get some water, then he wants to get up to get some water, if I cross my legs, he crosses his legs.  After noticing this, I realized I have to be the best person I can be, so that I can be the best brother that I can be as well.” 

Dimakopulos’ dream is to one day become a recognized player in the National Basketball Association. His maturity and perseverance will definitely help him achieve more accomplishments that will help him get towards that goal. 

Linda Ha

UC Irvine

Linda Ha attends the University of California Irvine and is an aspiring journalist. With a passion, she loves meeting new people, doing karate, dancing, and writing. She was a prominent leader in the Digital Arts Technology Academy for three years, and is excited to continue writing with HerCampus. Linda is involved in many different organizations on and off campus. If you want to find the quickest way to her heart, it is through her stomach. Her favorite foods include: green tea ice cream, chicken lettuce wraps, and pho.
...