diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay Awake in Lecture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

It’s hard to stay awake for 2 p.m. lectures. As much as you want to focus and give your full attention to learning the history of America’s Manifest Destiny, the weight of your eyelids get heavier by the second and your professor’s soothing voice gradually turns into a lullaby. Before you know it, your notes are a page of scribbles and there are five snapchat videos of you snoring in class. If this has ever happened, then try out these useful tips to get you through your next afternoon lecture.

1. Bring juice to class

Perhaps all you need to get you through an afternoon lecture is a sugar boost. Not only can a bottle a juice keep you awake, but it is also a delicious and healthy snack.

2. Sit next to the cutest person in class

First off, take this advice with caution. Even if sitting next to the mysterious cutie in class helps you stay awake, it might become a distraction. Sit close by, but not too close.

3. Chew gum

Chewing gum is a great way to help you stay awake in class. It can also freshen up your breath and clean your teeth, both of which are important if you care about good dental hygiene.

4. Do not wear your favorite sweatpants and sweater

Wearing your comfiest sweater and sweatpants to class can be extremely tempting, but it makes it that much easier to fall asleep, especially if your professor plays a documentary in an air-conditioned, dimly-lit lecture hall. Trust me, I would know.

5. Participate in lecture

The most obvious trick to stay awake in class has to be participating in discussions whenever you have the chance to. If you want to stay awake and alert, ask and answer questions.

These are just some tricks to help you get through the lull of afternoon lectures. Even with all the responsibilities that come with a busy schedule filled with internships, part-time jobs, and midterms, try to get more rest at night so you have enough energy to stay awake in class.

Christine Chen

UC Irvine '19

Christine is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UC Irvine. In her free time, she enjoys reading books, listening to business tech podcasts, running, and making people smile! :)
...