you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.
The reason we are all going to college is to one day go to work.  Unfortunately, a college degree alone does not always guarantee a job in our desired field.  I have five internships under my belt, and they have been invaluable learning experiences.  Want an internship but have no idea how to get one?  Read my tips below!

Before you apply: 
  • This may seem obvious, but have a resume and basic cover letter ready.  Take the time to do the necessary research, and make sure you customize your cover letter for each position you are applying for.  
  • Create a LinkedIn profile to showcase your skills and experiences.  Include the link to your profile in your application to show potential employers your relevant courses, community service, awards, skills and more.  These things are especially important when you may not have a full resume.  LinkedIn also allows you to connect with others in your field.  Never underestimate the importance of networking. 
  • Have an interview outfit ready.  Professional attire may not be at the top of your shopping wish list, but when you get called for an interview you will be happy to have an appropriate outfit ready to go.  Don’t forget to iron!

How to find an internship:

• Check internship listing sites daily.  Internships go quickly, so checking for opportunities every day is key.  Bookmark a few sites and check frequently for new opportunities.  My favorite is The Intern Queen which filters by location and field.  I got a marketing internship by following the site on Twitter and by submitting my application that same day.
  • E-mail everyone.  E-mail internship coordinators, heads of human resources, as well as any e-mail address you can find that relate to the department you are applying to. One day someone will respond!
  • You know how moms love to talk about their kids?  You probably don’t love it, but embrace it.  Tell your mom what kind of internship you are looking for and let her spread the word!  My mother did this and I was offered an internship at a publishing house.
  • Connect through social media.  I have connected to brands through Facebook and have received responses.  Employers love it when you have a go-getter attitude.
  • Apply to small, local companies first, as these positions are easier to get.  Once you have completed a few of these internships, move on to the bigger ones! 
  • Go for the big ones regardless.  The most important thing I took away from LinkedIn was to apply for positions you are not qualified for.  It never hurts to try so go for the big positions too!
  • Check your school e-mail.  I know those school e-mails can be annoying, but make sure to read them all.  Your department will frequently send out internship or part time job listings in the fields your major applies to. Take advantage of these opportunities, as the companies are obviously looking for students from your department.
No internship. Now what?
  • Look for new opportunities to bulk up your resume, such as getting involved in campus publications (like HerCampus!), conferences, or research with a professor. 
  • Make your own experiences.  Learn a foreign language, start a website, or learn to code.  (I created an iOS application and I have been told during interviews that it is what caught their attention.  I was not applying for jobs in the computer science field, but finishing a major project shows creativity, innovation, and determination.)
I hope these tips help you get the internship of your dreams!

Source: http://www.levo.com/articles/career-advice/8-tips-for-starting-your-inte…

Jacqueline is Literary Journalism and Digital Art student at the University of California Irvine. She will be graduating next spring and hopes to work in fashion.
...