toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hollywood Gets ‘Hollyweird’ for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

(Image source: huffingtonpost.com)

It was no surprise that Halloween turned Los Angeles into a big, crazy party. With tons of people walking down the street in costume, it seemed that the streets nearly tripled in activity and energy from the usual fast-paced vibe that has become customary to LA. Various areas of Hollywood found the most activity on Halloween night such as West and Downtown Hollywood. One bar in particular, the El Bar on Cahuenga Boulevard near Universal Studios Hollywood, was lively for being a fairly small bar. Though not many people dressed up for the evening inside the bar, the easygoing energy hosted a crowd of older, more sophisticated partiers. Many adults from their mid-20s to early 50s relaxed on the sofas that lined up against the wall while others found seats either at the bar or at the tables in the middle of the room. The DJ played music from her laptop and turntable in the corner by the entrance. She wore a Joker costume inspired by the version seen in “The Dark Knight” portrayed by the late Heath Ledger.

Near the bar, traffic on the 101 North and South was packed. What normally would have been a five-minute drive turned into 15 minutes with all sorts of people walking down the street. One lady in particular was shouting obscenities at people walking or driving by. Of course, having someone yell, “You’re crazy!” doesn’t help if the old woman was truly unhinged. Overall, LA hosted yet another entertaining Halloween night. The Halloween of 2015 was a success from the bars to the stereotypical traffic, right down to the crazies that came out of the woodwork to partake in the Halloween festivities. 

Luis Lugo

UC Irvine

Luis is a 4th year at UC Irvine, majoring in Lit. Journalism and minoring in Film and Media Studies. His main interests and hobbies include dance in styles such as ballet, jazz, and hip hop as well as horror movies, dogs, burgers, yoga, tea, and roller coasters !
...