Grubbin’ for the Grade: Why We Splurge On Food Before Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Stressed is desserts spelled backwards, and that’s especially true right before midterms. We often find ourselves reaching for that bag of Limon Hot Cheetohs, swiping our debit cards a little more frequently for that macchiato (soy, extra caramel, double shot please!) and maybe even calling in for some late night pizza from Domino’s.

But why is that?

Studies have shown that animals are more likely to repeat behaviors that are expressed during times of stress than when things are normal—so what makes student’s any different? When the body is under pressure, we release the hormone adrenaline, which stimulates our “flight or fight” response. The unnecessary increase in adrenaline increases the amount of sugar, or free energy to use in defense (remember, flight or fight), and urges the body to replenish that used energy—more than likely through eating.

At the same time, there’s nothing more satisfying than your favorite meal while doing some intense cramming the night before.  Looking at it psychologically, people are more prone to tapping into their pleasure-seeking tendencies and routines during times of extreme trauma and sadness. The little bit of pleasure acquired when taking a bite into that red velvet cheesecake is enough to keep you coming back to that same slice time and time again.

We’ve all been there and chances are, eating our favorite foods under stressful situations has been something we’ve been doing since as far back as cramming for our SAT’s in high school.

With more than twelve units a quarter, the last bits of Freshman 15 still clinging on tight, and midterms creeping their way into lecture halls all over campus, what’s a girl to do? With Halloween coming, invites flooding in, and a number of tight and sexy array of costumes waiting for you to take your pick, the last thing you need is to pack on that extra pound to bring your self confidence down in times of academic peril.

So take a breath, close that book for just a few moments and consider these treats as your next study buddy. Your body will thank you!

• Skinny Cow ™ Ice Cream Sandwiches –Put down your tubs of Half-Baked and Phish Food ladies, these ice cream sandwiches have only 1.5 grams of fat and 140 calories.  From vanilla to chocolate peanut butter, these sandwiches will have you hooked from the start, and you won’t have to feel guilty about it!
  • The Christmas”
    The product of my roommate’s (who also happens to be a barista) creative mind, try this misto (coffee and steamed milk) at your Student Center Starbucks. Ask for a skim misto with two pumps white mocha, one pump regular mocha and two pumps cinnamon dolce. The unique blend of chocolates and spice will motivate you to work for that Christmas break back home! Add an extra shot or two or espresso if you’re feeling a little tired. A misto is relatively cheap so your wallet will thank you!
  • Chocolate Covered Almonds—For those of us more inclined to pick up a pack of Oreos or some Twix for our late night cram sessions, try a handful of dark chocolate covered almonds. Dark chocolate alone has been deemed healthy by a number of different studies, and almonds contain those “healthy fats”
    to keep your energy up throughout the day.
  • Greek Yogurt and Honey—One of the latest trends in nutrition is Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is so condensed that it contains about twice the amount of protein than your average Yoplait™. Stressed students are in for a treat that will curb your hunger for a lot longer than frozen yogurt can. Try it with a generous amount of honey and your favorite fruit!
  • Veggie Sticks—And no, these are not your typical carrot sticks and celery logs. Akin to chips, these thin fry-like treats can be found at our campus Trader Joes for a few bucks! Loaded with nutrients and starches found in common vegetables such as tomatoes and spinach, these are perfect for
    those of you craving salty and crunchy. Try them with a little Tapatio or Sriracha for a little heat to keep your body alert and oriented in the early hours of the morning!

Sources:
http://eating.health.com/2009/03/12/why-we-eat-when-were-stressed-and-ho…

Nicole is currently a fourth year Public Health Policy major with a minor in Psychology and Social Behavior. She has been writing for HerCampus UC Irvine for over two years, editing for almost two. When she's not busy working closely with her co-editor and managing the writing staff of HC UCI, she spends a lot of time at Corona del Mar...or baking cookies. She is also an expert baby wrangler and works part time at the UCI Infant Toddler Center. Her true loves include the color pink and copious cups of coffee.
Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.