Greek Life Threads: Inside the Minds of Two Successful UCI Student Entrepreneurs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

During a late-night study session the topic of Greek letters and clothing came up in Rama and Kevan Sadigh’s conversation. The two economy majors began discussing the commonly shared concerns of how overpriced Greek letters are, where to purchase letters, the pricing, the material, and quality. Rama and Kevan had always aspired to become entrepreneurs and with the booming demand for Greek letter clothing, the idea of Greek Life Threads was born.

The vision of Greek Life Threads was to provide quality letters at a far more affordable price and convenience for students. In the end of 2008 the two started up a basic website in Rama’s apartment while still attending school full time. “We would take in orders and people would have to pick it up at Rama’s apartment”. Greek Life Threads gained popularity through social networking devices like Facebook and word of mouth from fellow friends and the Greek Panhellenic community at Irvine. And with this, the company has quickly gained prominence. Greek Life Threads has provided sashes for pageants like the Hooter’s West Coast Beauty Pageant and even receive international orders like a sash order form the Swedish School of Planning. The company also sells more locally at UC Irvine, the UCLA bookstore, and the website offers national access to Greek letter clothing. Although the website www.greeklifethreads.com, was costly Kevan clarified, “Websites do have a set of costs but the reach we are going for is infinitely more so it’s definitely worth it”. Rama agreed saying, “having a website business allows us to go beyond the limit of selling in one location and grants people around the world to order from us”.

Although UC Irvine does not offer efficient classes in terms of running and starting up a personal business, Kevan and Rama took their dream and pursuit into their own hands. Rama emphasized the importance of trial and error saying “we became successful through hard work, determination, and persistence. We just want to do it better than others in the business and we have been striving to accomplish this.” However the two did distinguish the necessity of having a specific idea in mind and that before actually pursuing an idea to ensure that whatever the product is, that it possesses a high demand and will sell, paying attention to your clients. Rama also warned, “Be careful about who you tell. We had some problems with that and learned you really should only tell people you trust”. In addition he stated that it is essential to go into depth with signing nondisclosure agreements or any legal documents for that matter. “It’s a bit extreme, but it’s always better safe than sorry.”

Kevan and Rama want to focus on a growing company and higher sales by making a few more websites. Kevan further explained that “A sense of accomplishment will come later and we are still growing, so we haven’t become accomplished in our minds, which is good because we don’t want to slow down. We are not at the stage yet where we can sit back and look at our accomplishments.” With the company offering clothing for graduation sashes, pageant sashes, sweaters, jackets, bags, and more Greek Life Threads possesses a bright future.

facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/greeklifethreads

Amanda Kim

UC Irvine

Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.