EAP Cordoba, Spain: Sevilla- The U.S. knows nada about dancing.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Not even the rainy weather stopped me from enjoying all Sevilla has to offer. My field trip took me to El Barrio, the beautiful location of Carlos V’s wedding with many gardens, buildings, and even a hedge maze. We then toured Plaza de España, which was gorgeous. For all you movie buffs out there, it was also the set location for Planet Naboo in the second Star Wars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edhLosefD0Q&feature=related). On top of an amazing field trip, I spent the whole day in great anticipation for the arrival of my boyfriend, Bryan, who worked incredibly hard to make sure he could come visit me for just under 3 weeks. That day also brought more exciting events. I met my cousin (or second cousin I suppose, but it’s “No pasa nada”) who LIVES in Sevilla! It was amazing to meet part of my family that is Spanish. She took us to a cute little bar in town to meet up with her boyfriend and some other friends. They were all extremely nice and easy going. One of her friends is a designer of Flamenco dresses, and she was nice enough to show me pictures of her runway show, my cousin being one of the models. It was a relief that she spoke some English, so whichever words I couldn’t say in Spanish I could say in English, and vice versa. Without the language barrier, it was easier to have a good time and enjoy their company.

Although I have yet to see a real bullfight (I am debating, because I don’t really want to watch an animal die, but it would be a good cultural experience). We did tour Plaza de Toros, and I learned a lot more about the art and history of bullfighting. That night led to more cultural experiences once we went to a cool Sevillana/Flamenco dance show. I learned that Sevillana dancing and Flamenco dancing are actually different. Sevillana involves 4 different parts to the dance, while Flamenco is more of a free style, feeling the dance from your heart and soul. It was breathtaking to see the endurance and passion the woman had for her dancing, and she was really, really good at it. Combined with the Spanish guitar and the male singer, it was truly an unforgettable experience.

As if all the previous mentioned weren’t enough to capture an idea of the heart of Sevilla, Bryan and I stumbled by accident upon what we think is Sevilla’s biggest fan. Enter: Frank. Bryan and I decided to ask him randomly where we could find cheap tapas (tapas: the name of a wide variety of appetizers, or snacks, in Spanish cuisine). After trying to explain the directions, he simply gave up and told us to follow him. He did not take us to his favorite tapas bar, but instead took us to his favorite bar to buy us a cervesa first, THEN to the tapas bar, followed by his favorite coffee shop. He said this is the routine he follows, like many other Spaniards. We learned all about his likes and dislikes, his job in the transportation system in Sevilla, his family, everything. We learned about his love won and his love lost. It was a bittersweet but very special afternoon. He was nice enough to accompany us to the train station to see us off, and we felt bad to have to leave him after all he had done for us. It was amazing the way his eyes lit up when we asked for his address. I look forward to keeping in touch with our new pen pal in Sevilla.

Overall, Sevilla is a very peaceful but lively city; it made an impression on me that I will never forget.

Un besito XOXO,
Katie