This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Ever since I was a young girl, I have always loved dogs. I grew up with a Sheltie, also known as a miniature “Lassie” dog for anyone who has seen the classic film. Needless to say, I am extremely comfortable around smaller to mid size dogs. This past Saturday, I tested my comfort with dogs as I served at a local dog shelter.

This was not your ordinary dog shelter; it was a shelter specifically for greyhounds. If you didn’t know, greyhounds are usually bred for the purpose of racing. Because they need to be lean for speed, they are often refused food and are very thin. Greyhound racing is an organized sport in which dogs are forced to race and cross a finish line. People often bet money on these dogs in hopes that their favorite will win.

Unfortunately, the result of this racing takes a toll on the dog mentally and physically. Many dogs become aggressive, loud, and violent due to the environment that they are placed in. They are encouraged to be competitive, and therefore winning is placed above all other necessary aspects a healthy dog needs. Greyhounds often break their legs, spinal cords, or enter cardiac arrest during the intensity of the races. According to many sources, the fad of Greyhound racing is slowly dying. There are only about 20 remaining Greyhound racing locations still functioning in the US.

I was heartbroken when I heard this news, as I believe dogs are made for companionship and love. A dog’s purpose is to care for his owners and always be loyal. However, dog racers have taken advantage of these Greyhounds and have turned their purpose into something much darker.

On Saturday, we went to Hemopet, a shelter for Greyhounds where we got to walk and play with the dogs for about an hour. Many of the dogs were extremely excited and therefore jumped all over me. This would not be bad if it were any other type of dog, however, Greyhounds are large and reach about hip level on me. The Greyhound that I got to walk and bond with was named Primrose. She was extremely quiet and mellow. I wondered how anyone could make such a peaceful creature into such a competitive machine on a track.

https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photo-greyhound-lure-coursing-image13150185

In addition, many of the dogs had to wear muzzles for the safety of the volunteers. We were told that due to their past, they could sometimes be unpredictable and the shelter did not want to take any chances on a lawsuit. Many of the dogs would unsuccessfully attempt to remove their muzzles by rubbing them against fences, the ground, and my legs.

At the end of my time with Primrose, I gave her a giant hug. Although she could not communicate the abuse and hardships she had most likely encountered, the only thing I could feel was her innocence and joy in the moment. Dogs are peaceful creatures, and not to be abused, but rather to be loved and trusted.