This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Bet you’re looking at your phone or laptop right now.  Got here by emails, Facebook links, or maybe can’t remember how you got here at all.  We use social media as a way of connecting to the world around but it’s funny how little we pay attention to what is physically in front of us.  I tried an experiment to find out what it’s really like being a hard-core social media user and disconnecting completely.  

“Plugged In”

Being on my social media apps non-stop gave me this interesting sense of belonging and I was able to reconnect with old friends and make some new ones and even gain a few Instagram followers.  It’s amazing how taking a few minutes on a phone can connect people from all over the world and even view another country through their feeds or stories.

One of the big disappointments was that I never felt connected to the world I was standing in, I always felt like everything or anyone I did connect with was hundred miles away.  

What Internet?

By completely detaching myself from Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat (this one hurt the most) for an entire month I realized a few things.  I really miss my friends that live far away  and the ability to feel supported by them through all of our midterms.  But I did feel like a noticed more about the environment I was in and the people I was surrounded by, even if seemingly everyone else’s faces were in their technology.  

Throughout the experience my eyes were truly opened to how at the end of it we are all trying to belong and connect to something in this world.  As much as we all love our tech taking a few days off has proven to help many individuals, just look at Selena Gomez!

Until next time lovelies.

Hi, hello!
Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.