Collegiette’s Kitchen: Peppermint Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Holiday season is around the corner, and we all know how tough (and expensive), it can be to figure out what kinds of gifts to give all of our friends, our familiy, and our colleagues. But have no fear! Here is a simple, affordable, and delicious treat to give anyone in your life. It’s festive, fun to make, and it’s personalmade with love, by YOU! Here’s how to make the chewy chunk of chocolate delight otherwise known as the peppermint Nutella chocolate chip cookie.

Ingredients:

• 2-¼ cups flour

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• ½ teaspoon salt

• ½ cup (1 stick) softened butter

• ½ cup Nutella

• ¾ cup brown sugar

• ¾ cup packed brown sugar

• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

• 2 eggs

• 1 ½ cups chocolate chips (whichever type you prefer, I used milk chocolate)

• ½ cup crushed candy canes

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Put this mixture aside for now.

1. In a separate bowl, mix the softened butter, Nutella, sugar, and brown sugar until it is fully combined.

1. Now add the vanilla extract and eggs to the previous mixture, until it looks creamy, like so:

1. Gradually mix in the dry mixture to the the creamed one. I did this in small increments (refer to below to see about how much to add at once). Stir until combined before adding more of the dry mixture.

1. If you are able to find crushed candy canegreat! If you are unable to like I was, I suggest purchasing a pack of mini candy canes ($2.99 at CVS) and chopping them into small pieces with a knife. Then, put the pieces in a sandwich sized Ziploc bag and crush them with either a mallet or a rolling pin until they are almost powder-like. Lastly, add the peppermint pieces and chocolate chips to the mixture.

1. Use either a large spoon, an ice cream scooper, or a tablespoon to place balls of dough onto an ungreased baking sheet (I suggest putting a layer of aluminum foil on the tray).

1. Bake for 9-11 minutes; or until whenever the edges look golden brown.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as me and my friends did! Here are several cute options on how to wrap up your cookies if you plan to give them out to friends or family.

http://www.brit.co/cookie-wrappers/

Happy Holidays!

Gabriella is currently a 2nd year Literary Journalism Major and Humanities and Law Minor at the University of California, Irvine. 
Sarah Ahern is a sophomore at UC Irvine studying literary journalism. Aside from writing for HerCampus, she interns for the self-help website DreamitAlive.com. In her free time, she enjoys writing, playing tennis, and baking.
...