Campus Club Spotlight: Pencils of Promise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Pencils of Promise is a new club on campus that aims to provide educational opportunities for disadvantaged children in developing countries. They also aim to create positive change in local communities through volunteering.

Pencils of Promise meets on Wednesdays at 8 p.m. in Social Science Trailers 102.

Name: David Park

Year: 3rd

Officer Position: President

• Where did you grow up?

I lived most of my life in South Korea, but I was born into a military family, so I don’t know where to call home.

• What is your major and why did you choose it?

Biological sciences major.

• What is your career goal?  

I want to become a dentist because I like to see people smile.

• Why did you join Pencils of Promise?

I joined it because I knew that I would be making an impact in the lives of underprivileged children.

• What is your goal for the club?

My goal for the club is to get Justin Bieber to come to UCI.

• If you had to describe Pencils of Promise in three words, what would they be?

Productive, Optimistic, Passionate

• Are there any other organizations, on or off campus, you’re involved in?

Pre-Dental Society and research at Beckman Laser Institute.

Name: Hyemi Kang

Year: 2nd Year

Officer Position: Vice President

• Where did you grow up?

I was born in Seoul, Korea, and moved to Miami, Florida when I was 8 years old. I grew up in Miami until I moved to Irvine, California my sophomore year of High School.

My major is political sciences. I chose my major due to my passion in international relations, especially regarding collapsing states.

• What is your career goal?

I do not have a specific career goal. However, I hope to pursue a legal journey and make an impact in the global community.

• Why did you join Pencils of Promise?

I wanted to bring Pencils of Promise to UCI because I believe education has the power to build communities and change lives. To extend the opportunity on to countries who do not have the privileges really spoke to me. I saw the heart behind the organization, and believed saw a potential to create a positive ripple effect here on campus.

• What is your goal for the club?

Of course I want us to be able to build a school in one of our partner communities, and be able to sustain it throughout the years. However, going beyond the generic goal, I really hope that each member finds the heart for children, developing nations, and the power of education.

Teamwork, Passion, Opportunities

No, I am not involved in any organizations. However, I have partaken in research studies with professors in the School of Social Science here at UCI.

Name: Hannah Chang

Year: 3rd year

Officer Position: Secretary

• Where did you grow up?

San Fernando Valley

History and Education, double major. I came in as a history major because of a general interest I cultivated in high school. Near the end of my first year, my best friend Rachel asked me to take an education class with her and I decided spur of the moment to join. Since then, I’ve fallen in love with education and what we as future educators strive for. I’ve always had a heart for children and I see my future career as an educator as my small contribution to society. Teachers don’t do it for the  money. It’s really about developing children who will change our world for the better.

• What is your career goal?

Teacher of some sort, but as of right now I’m currently a behavioral therapist at CPC.

• Why did you join Pencils of Promise?

Love the heart of the mission!!!! POP is special from other clubs because we not only build schools but we continue to sustain them with trained teachers, material, and lessons on how to maintain hygiene

• What is your goal for the club?

To spread awareness of the importance of children education and to raise funds to fully support a classroom full of students

• If you had to describe Pencils of Promise with three words, what would they be?

Important, Special, Necessary

Global Connect!

Name: Rachel Kim

Year: 3

Officer Position: Historian

• Where did you grow up?

Maryland and California

Education, Psychology & Social Behavior- I love working with people and just wanted to find out more about it. I also love working with kids and wanted to pursue teaching!

• What is your career goal?

As of now I want to go get my credentials and masters after I graduate. I hope to get a multiple subject teaching credential and teach lower elementary.

• Why did you join Pencils of Promise?

I joined because I believe in their purpose and want to see it become established in UCI.

• What is your goal for the club?

My goal is for it to become more established and eventually fundraise a school.

Hopeful, helpful, passionate

UCI Global Connect, KCM

Name: Andrew Shin

Year: 1st year

Officer Position: Treasurer

• Where did you grow up?

Irvine, CA

Public Health Sciences because it gives me an opportunity to make a difference in the community and the community’s health

• What is your career goal?

My career goal is to be a sports medicine doctor because it combines my passion for athletics along with health and medicine.

• Why did you join Pencils of Promise?

I joined Pencils of Promise because it gives me an opportunity to make a difference in children’s education.

• What is your goal for the club?

The goal for this club is to raise awareness and funds to build schools in third world nations.

Dedicated, Hardworking, Teamwork

Name: Keila Soriano

Year: 2nd Year

Officer Position: Fundraising Coordinator

• Where did you grow up?

Santa Ana, California

I’m majoring in Political Science and minoring in Chicanx/Latinx Studies. I definitely didn’t come into college thinking I’d major in Political Science but I took one class and I fell in love with it!

• What is your career goal?

I’d like to become an immigration or criminal justice lawyer. I’ve also considered possibly running for office one day. I feel like doing so would help me be a voice for the Latinx community. Latinxs make up such a large portion of the U.S. population but we don’t have a substantial amount of representation in politics.

• Why did you join Pencils of Promise?

I’m really passionate about creating a positive change in local and global communities. There are always plenty of opportunities so be involved in local communities but not so much when it comes to global communities. I think it’s amazing that Pencils of Promise is dedicated creating a positive impact in both. Also, providing children with access to schools and education can potentially shape their future prospects and I’m glad to be a part of an organization that’s creating those opportunities!

• What is your goal for the club?

At the moment, my goal is to help our club expand & to get the word out there. I’m really excited to see what the future holds in store for Pencils of Promise!

Community, Opportunity, Innovation

I’m also a writer for Her Campus!

Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.