This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

You may recognize the very talented Cassie Scerbo from Make It Or Break It, Bring It On: In It To Win It or the Sharknado films. Her latest movie, The Perfect Soulmate, is a thriller about a woman desperate to escape her abusive marriage. She befriends a devoted fan, enter Cassie Scerbo’s character Lee, only to discover she’s found an even more dangerous companion.

As if she is not busy enough filming movie after movie, Cassie is also VP of charity Boo2Bullying, which provides outreach, mentorship, education and support for youth and their families. I had the opportunity to speak with her about The Perfect Soulmate, Boo2Bullying, and all other things Cassie. 

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how/when you got into acting?

Cassie Scerbo: I’ve just always had a fiery passion for performing, telling a story. Whether it be acting, singing or dancing. I always felt the need to perform and embody different emotions/stories. I remember being 5 years of age and putting on performances for my family after dinner. It’s something I’ve always loved! 

What can you tell us about your upcoming movie, The Perfect Soulmate?

CS: This character, Lee Maxson, is the most dangerous and compelling character I’ve played thus far, it was also the most challenging to portray. The Perfect Soulmate is about a young woman who has endured physical and mental abuse, by both her deceased father and mother. Due to this, she lives her life in a hermit-like fashion. She goes to work at a bookstore every day, then comes home to her overly-aggressive and sick mother, who she takes care of. Lee’s only outlet is her favorite poetry blog, which is run by the poet herself (and Lee’s idol), Sarah Miles. She feels that Sarah’s words are the only things that keep her sane, that this is the only other person who understands her. This being said, she finds her information and invites her the bookstore to do a reading. From here, Lee starts up a friendship with Sarah in which soon turns into an obsession, especially after Lee becomes aware of Sarah’s abusive husband. Lee’s protectiveness becomes over the top as all of the years of abuse and neglect start to unhinge in a very dangerous and life-threatening manner for anyone in Sarah’s life.. and Sarah herself.  I can’t wait for people to see it! I think it’s a definite “edge of your seat” thriller!

Lee is a pretty chilling character and not someone you want to mess with. What attracted you to the role?

CS: I love a good challenge. Anything that takes me as far away from Cassie as possible, is always the most luring for me as an actress. It allows me to really dig and research. The whole point of acting for me is to be able to step outside the box and learn about different walks of life. Lee is an absolute obsessed, dangerous yet soft character. There were so many layers to her and so much to work with.

How do you prepare yourself for roles like that?

CS: Research! I read up on the affects childhood abuse could have on a person later on in life. I also read up on stalkers and what drives them to certain levels of obsession, and most importantly, I read the script copious amounts of times to make sure I didn’t miss a beat. Not one quirk or character trait.

I know you’re hugely involved in the charity Boo2Bullying. Can you explain to our readers a little about the charity and what it means to you?

CS: Absolutely. I became a part of the organization about 6 years ago as their Girl’s Youth Ambassador and worked my way up to Vice President about a year and a half ago. This cause is incredibly important to me. 3.2 million students suffer from being bullied each year. I feel that bullying is one of the few epidemics that doesn’t discriminate. People from all walks of life, and even all ages, suffer from unjust acts of hatred. In the school system we offer assembly and pilot programs. We’ve also offered art therapy in the past. We feel it’s important to form a conversation with students and to allow them to realize that everyone has gone through some form of bullying and that it’s OKAY. We also give advice on standing up for others in their community and not just being a bystander. We make sure they realize that they are never a “snitch” and that helping others is actually the important, heroic and overall RIGHT thing to do. We also encourage they use specific hotlines if they know of a certain situation that is going on. Our vision over at B2B is “Artists Awakening the World.” It’s so important to use our creative outlets as a way to stand up for good causes and to create change. That being said, we love holding “unplugged acoustic” benefits with incredible performers and enjoy having top notch dance academies like “MusEffect” perform at our events. Overall we spread the message of love over hate and hope we can touch and change as many lives as possible in the process.

Who is your role model in the acting industry?

CS: I of course would HAVE to say Meryl Streep. I mean, MAN, there is nothing that woman can’t do. I also love Sophia Bush. I think her drive to have a voice and stand up for certain causes and issues is beyond admirable. I’ve been following her on social media for a while now and have seen her at events and she’s always so graceful and strong, the epitome of a woman.

Are there any other upcoming projects you’re working on that we can look forward to seeing you in?

CS: I’ve got Sharknado 5 coming out this summer which I’m very excited about! I’m can’t wait for everyone to see yet another return of my character, Nova. She’s such a fierce female character who embodies the meaning of Girl Power to a T. Especially in this sequel, where she runs an underground army of “Sharknado Sisters” around the Globe. It was incredible getting to travel the world for this film! Also, I just wrapped up a horror film in Birmingham, Alabama that’s slated to come out around October. I always keep music in my pocket as well, so hopefully you will hear some of that sometime soon!

Rapid Fire Round:

Favorite project you’ve worked on?

Ahh there’s been so many! I’d have to stick with Make it or Break it though, that’s my family right there.

Most embarrassing moment on set?

It’s always embarrassing when you forget you have a mic on! Also, when you get the giggles. It doesn’t happen often because usually you’re very “in the moment” as an actor.. However, when it’s late at night and the delirium kicks in – it can be so hard to shut off! And it’s contagious!

Last thing you binge-watched?

The Office! I’m so late on this lol, but obsessed. Also, 13 Reasons Why and Big Little Lies.

Favorite actor/actress?

Robert DeNiro and Meryl Streep.

Lip gloss or lipstick?

Gloss!

Favorite 90’s Jam?

Anything Spice Girls! I was so head-over-heels for them!

One thing you can’t live without?

I must say my family (and pup) and yoga.

The Perfect Soulmate premieres Sunday, June 4th at 8pm ET/PT on Lifetime. Take a look at the trailer here. You can also see her in the latest installment of Syfy’s unexpected hit series, Sharknado 5, as Nova Clarke coming out August 6th.

Many thanks to the gorgeous Cassie Scerbo! Xo.

Check out her most recent interview with KTLA here

Also, be sure to keep up with her on Instagram and Twitter.