5 Things to be Grateful for this Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Thanksgiving is fast approaching. While many of us are looking forward to eating home cooked meals (#thanksmom), we should also take the time to reflect on what we are grateful for. Here are 5 things I’m grateful for this year.

1. Family

This is probably the number one answer everyone says, but it’s true. Family is there for you through thick and thin. As much as I argue with my family I wouldn’t be the person that I am today without them.

1. Friends

Friends are the family members that aren’t blood-related. My friends and I are there for each other whether I need to rant about a class/professor or whether they need help hanging Christmas decorations in their apartment. They are your support system when you can’t reach your family.

1. Health

Between school and work I always struggle to maintain my health lifestyle. It is so easy to lay on my couch eating cookies but I remind myself of the work I’ve put in. It goes beyond physical health as mental health (especially with finals approaching) is equally important. Take time for yourself even if it’s only five minutes a day.

1. Food

Chocolate. Chocolate.Chocolate. Food makes everything better and is essential but we often neglect how lucky we are to have access to it. Millions of people struggle to feed their families and we have the luxury of being able to have our food delivered. It’s a human necessity we take for granted.

1. The Little Things

I don’t know about you but I personally enjoy the little things in life. Whether it’s fresh clean sheets or the morning dew you see on the grass it really makes a difference. The little things are easily neglected but I think they are what bring us the most joy when we need them.

So this Thanksgiving while you gorge yourself on all the food be sure to take time and appreciate what you have. Even if it seems miniscule there are other people who have nothing.

When I'm not writing articles, I enjoy working out, meditating, listening to podcasts, traveling and surrounding myself with people who bring me joy.