This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Photos courtesy of Google Images 

Show TitleGame of Thrones (HBO)

Release Date:April 6th, 2014 (Season 4) 

This powerhouse of sex, fantasy, violence, and political strategy has already begun airing its 4th season on HBO and promises to be better than ever. Based on the A Song of Ice and Fire book series by George R.R. Martin, Game of Thrones details the struggle for power in the fantasy world of Westeros, as inspired by Medieval Europe’s own crazy battles and betrayals for the throne. The show’s many plotlines, complex characters, and rich backstories make it a must-watch on Sundays (at 6 PM on the West Coast) this quarter.

Photo courtesy of HBO   

Show Title: Orphan Black (BBC America) Release Date: April 19th, 2014 (Season 2) 

A lot of people have not yet heard of this show, and it’s a damn shame! Orphan Black is a hidden gem that incorporates the best of many genres: sci-fi, drama, thriller, and comedy, to name a few. It begins when protagonist Sarah Manning witnesses the suicide of another woman at the train station… a woman who looks exactly like her. As the season unfolds, Sarah discovers that she is a clone, and someone is trying to kill them off. This female-driven program is full of suspense and masterful acting—actress Tatiana Maslany has thus far played six diverse characters, not to mention scenes in which the clones impersonate each other! The quality of her acting is mind-blowing, and is truly what makes Orphan Black such a pleasure to watch. And it will not take long to catch up: the show is only just beginning its second season. Check it out on Saturdays, 9/8 central on BBC America this quarter. 

Photo courtesy of etonline  

Show Title: The Mindy Project (FOX)

Release Date: April 1st, 2014 (Season 3) 

For something a little more light-hearted this spring, the second-half of The Mindy Project Season 2 has already begun! Every Tuesday at 9:30/8:30c, one can check out this all-too-relatable and clever comedy about the bumbling and awkward escapades of an Ob/Gyn doctor. Similar to real life, nothing ever goes according to plan for Mindy, even the most romantic of moments. After her time as Kelly Kapoor on The Office, Mindy Kaling steps it up by creating, writing, and starring in this show! 

Photo courtesy of Fox 

Show Title: Orange is the New Black (Netflix)Release Date: June 6th, 2014 (Season 2) 

It is so close, yet so far away. Though there is still time to kill before the second season of Orange is the New Black returns to our computer screens, it will be well-worth the wait. And what better excuse to forgo school work and re-watch the entire first season?! Based on a true story, this blend of laugh-out-loud comedy and humanizing drama chronicles the lives of women living in a federal prison. Jenji Kohan’s (the creator of Weeds) writing is as enjoyable as ever, and these rich characters come to life through the acting of many break-out stars. One of the show’s greatest strengths is its diversity, featuring multi-dimensional women of color, queer relationships, and a transgender character (played by the beautiful, articulate, and incredibly inspiring transgender actress, Laverne Cox!). Do not miss this release, in which all of the episodes will go live at the same time, on Netflix this June. 

Photo courtesy of Netflix 

Show Title: Teen Wolf (MTV)

Release Date: June 23rd, 2014 (Season 4) 

You are currently judging this program based solely on the fact that it airs on MTV—STOP! While Teen Wolf took time to find its stride in Season 1, the show has grown into a surprisingly addictive and powerful drama about werewolves, lizard monsters, and many more supernatural foes. It still has its cheesy moments, that is to be sure—but these are overshadowed by the suspenseful plot, unexpectedly-good acting moments, and loveable characters. The fourth season of Teen Wolf does not premiere until the second week of summer vacation, giving new viewers the chance to catch up… perhaps even when they should be studying for midterms and finals. If you start, this MTV hit will quickly become a favorite guilty pleasure!

Photo courtesy of MTV 

***BONUS***

Show Title: Broad City (Comedy Central) So… this show does not technically belong on this list because its first season already came and went, before spring quarter even began. But honestly, despite this small setback, Broad City  deserves some time in the spotlight because it is absolutely hilarious and too few people have experienced its glory. This Comedy Central gem features the dysfunctional adventures of two best friends living in New York City, created by its two starring actresses and real-life buddies, Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jackson. Its ten episodes are full of genuine laugh-out-loud moments (a rarity these days), cringe-worthy situations, and off-beat victories. If needed, do not fight the urge to binge watch the season. Most importantly, be sure to dedicate some time this quarter to checking out the amazing and riotous Broad City!   

Photo courtesy of Comedy Central 

Sabrina Hughes is a second-year Film & Media Studies and Literary Journalism double major at the University of California, Irvine. She is the Body Image Coordinator for her sorority, Delta Delta Delta and a Right to KNOW Peer Educator for the Campus Assault Resources and Education Office. This is Sabrina's first year as a writer for Her Campus.
...