5 Easy Ways to Split the Chores Between your Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Living with roommates is practically a staple of the college experience. But, no matter how much you (hopefully) love your roomies, sharing a tiny apartment or dorm can be tricky! Here are some tips for fairly divvying up the chores without devolving into a passive-aggressive post-it war.

1. Plan apartment meetings

Try and get everyone together for a meeting so you can talk face to face. College schedules can get crazy, but the quality time is worth it! If the idea of an apartment meeting isn’t catching on, suggest a regular apartment dinner or movie night. That way, the meeting can double as a fun night of bonding that everyone can look forward to.

2. Share schedules

If you know you’re coming in late or waking up early, it can’t hurt to let your roommates know! Some groups find it easy to share class schedules and plans via Google Calendar, some have a big whiteboard calendar in the apartment, while others just use a group chat to communicate their plans. Splitting up the household chores is a lot easier when you know, for example, that three out of your five roommates are going home for the weekend. Plus, communicating is just good roommate etiquette in general.

3. Try a chore wheel

Sometimes, all it takes to get some motivation rolling is to have things down in writing. There’s always the traditional paper chore wheel, but there are also a considerable number of apps that can get the job done just as well. I can personally vouch for OurHome, but there are plenty of other free options for you and your roommates to experiment with. You could even set up some kind of reward system to hold each other accountable.

4. Set an example

Living with roommates does not have to be hard, and you can make sure your friends and housemates know by making it look easy. Lots of college students, especially underclassmen, have never had any experience sharing a space with so many other people; you’d be surprised at how keen others may be to follow your good example. Just remember to correct with care!

5. Make time for fun!

If all you and your roomies do is talk about the household chores, it’s going to create a tense environment for everybody. Even if you’re rooming with folks you did not know before, some freshly baked brownies and a board game is pretty much a guaranteed ice-breaker. Chances are, you have more in common than you think. Plus, hanging out on the semi-regular means that you and your roommates are more likely to talk about household issues organically. And at the end of it all, you’ll have a house full of friends to spend your year with!