15 Things You Learn During Your First Month of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

1.Communal bathrooms aren’t all that bad.

Before starting at UC Irvine, I was annoyed by the idea of having to share a bathroom/shower with a bunch of people. But, after a few weeks, you get used to it and realize that brushing  your teeth with your suitemates can be a potential bonding experience!

2. Don’t be afraid to talk to people.

When living with a bunch of strangers, making friends can seem a bit intimidating. But, once you drum up your courage and hang out in the common room, you realize that everyone else is in the same boat. And, you might even find some people you like.

3. People are weird.

If you live in close quarters with a bunch of 18 year olds, you’re definitely going to discover some strange idiosyncrasies.

4. You’re weird.

Maybe you finally realized that your regular routine is a little out of the ordinary compared to your peers. But, like I said, everyone is weird so, who cares?

5. Not everyone’s intentions are genuine.

It takes a few weeks to figure out who are your real friends versus people who aren’t as nice. That’s just a part of making strong friendships that go beyond college, so it’s definitely worth it.

6. Try to befriend your roommate.

A lot of students describe their roommates as “business partners”, but you should definitely make an effort to get to know your roomie a little bit better. It makes the whole “living away from home” situation easier to handle.

7. Missing your pets is a very real risk.

When you move away, you don’t always consider how hard it’s going to be to say goodbye to your furry friends. Make sure to take lots of pictures of them beforehand and maybe ask your mom to put them on facetime.

8. Buy groceries.

Although the dining hall is convenient, sometimes you’ll want to eat at home. Plus, cooking with your hallmates is a great way to meet new people!

9. Buy snacks.

Sometimes we all want a Hershey’s bar at 3:00 a.m.

10. Do your homework.

Obviously, you want to socialize and meet people, but sometimes you have to sit down and force yourself to do the work. Make sure you prioritize studying over going to UTC when you have midterms coming up!

11. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

Maybe you said something dumb in front of the cute boy in your Chemistry class or you turned in a paper an hour after the online due date. Don’t worry about it. It’s only the first month — you have four more years to do embarrassing stuff.

12. Call your parents.

They miss you a lot and they’re paying for your education. Call them at least once a week to let them know you’re thinking of them and that everything’s going alright.

13. Go to a sports game.

It’s nice to join in on the school spirit and lend your support to the team. It makes you feel like you’re finally part of the anteater family.

14. Participate in hall bonding activities.

Even if you think they’re lame, you’ll actually meet a lot of friends and get a chance to know everyone you’re living with.

15. Bring a robe.

I forgot one and, let me tell you, a robe would be so helpful when going from the shower to the dorm.

I'm an English student from Los Angeles, California. I love to write articles, poetry, and short stories!
Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.