books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The 10 Commandments of Surviving Finals Stress-Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

It’s that time of year again—the time of year when wearing anything with an elastic waistband is totally okay, having sushi delivered to your apartment is the highlight of your day (have you called Ippo yet?), and calculating how well you need to score on your final to get an A in a class is the only reason you will willingly do any type of math.

Now all you need to do is follow these 10 Commandments and you will get an A—in relieving stress, that is. Remember, it is just one week. It will be over before you know it and in a few days you can be lying on the beach sipping on a piña colada, or two. So read up, jot down some notes, and take some time out of your stressful week to relax and recharge.

1. Thou shalt go outside.

Studying requires many hours of sitting in one spot. Give yourself, and your butt (which by now is probably numb), a break. Get your blood flowing and mind recharged. Whether you like walking, biking, or dancing, step outside for some light exercise and fresh air. Not to mention, exercise releases endorphins, a natural chemical proven to relieve pain. Perfect, because finals are painful.

2. Thou shalt stretch.

Stretching alone is a simple form of exercise. By stretching, you lengthen your muscles and relieve tension throughout your body. So roll your shoulders, circle your neck, and get that body nice and loose.

3. Thou shalt breathe.

Before you become cross-eyed, back away from your textbooks and computer and take a breather…or four. Sit in a comfortable position, take a deep breath in through your nose, and exhale out through your mouth. The key is to take deep breaths, and to take your time. Let’s not hyperventilate in the library, shall we?

4. Thou shalt laugh.

While a good cry may seem more appropriate for finals week, a funny YouTube video or a phone call with a friend can spark some positive energy during your studies.

5. Thou shalt give thyself a quick mani/pedi.

Taking a small break in between studying with a creative task helps take your mind off all the words and numbers. When you’re finished, you will not only have cute nails, but a clear mind!

6. Thou shalt clean, and maybe (just maybe) do some laundry.

While chores bring just about the same amount of pleasure as studying for finals (none), they do allow you to focus on something else for a few minutes. Cleaning and folding clothes don’t require much thinking and can get your mind off all the stress. After all, a clear space leads to a clear mind.

7. Thou shalt take a shower/bath.

Looking like a homeless person is one thing, smelling like one, not acceptable. Use this time to escape from everything going on and let it all go down the drain.

8. Thou shalt wash thy face.

While this is a great way to clear your pores, a few splashes of cold water can wake you up and give you a small boost of energy.

9. Thou shalt scroll through Reddit or Tumblr.

Go ahead; entertain your mind with some funny gifs and pretty pictures—for a few minutes. Five minutes can easily turn into one hour; proceed with caution (and lots of self control).

10. Thou shalt eat chocolate.

Because I said so.