10 Amazing Vacation Ideas for this Upcoming Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Summer vacation is just around the corner, which means that it’s time to start planning. If you’re looking to travel across the U.S. for the best theme parks, music festivals, hiking trails, and beaches, then check out our list of exciting travel ideas for the summer.

1. Orlando, Florida

If you’re the ultimate theme park lover, then consider visiting Orlando, Florida this summer. Some of the many theme parks to visit are The Magic Kingdom, Universal Orlando, Islands of Adventure, and SeaWorld Orlando. 

2. San Francisco, California

Whether you are hoping to try world-renowned street tacos and ice cream, drive across the Golden Gate Bridge, or simply get lost in Union Square, San Francisco is a buzzing town with places to go and people to see.

3. Washington, District of Columbia 

What is a better way to spend the Fourth of July than watching a spectacular fireworks display at our nation’s capital? Make your way around the city by taking a tour of our nation’s most iconic monuments, museums, and memorials.

4. Antelope Canyon, Arizona

If you are looking to experience nature’s wonders, consider visiting Antelope Canyon, located in Page, Arizona. Shaped by rainwater and monsoon floods, you can walk through the canyon’s narrow passageway made of Navajo sandstone. Summer visitors can take a tour through the upper or lower canyon for $40 per person. 

5. Portland, Oregon

From Ollalieberries to blueberries to strawberries, summer time is the peak of berry season. Every year, the Oregon Berry Festival is celebrated in Portland, Oregon. This year, the festival will be held from July 16 to 17.

6. Appalachian Trail

If you’re an intermediate to advanced adventurer looking to put your physical fitness and endurance to the ultimate test, then it’s time to start planning your next back-packing trip along the Appalachian Trail. Prepare to have your breath taken away by the spectacular view and the epic 2,180-mile hike!

7. Dallas Texas

As one of the largest state fairs, the State Fair of Texas includes numerous music performances, arts and crafts activities, car showcases, and food vendors. Make sure to buy tickets ahead of time to attend the fair, which will be held from Sept. 30 to Oct. 23.

8. Oahu, Hawaii

There is pretty much nothing better than a relaxing getaway to Oahu, Hawaii. If you’re planning to visit Oahu, make sure to book your flight to Honolulu International Airport early on and make reservations at Waikiki’s hotels, resorts, spas, and boutiques.

9. Grand Park, Chicago, Illinois

For all the die-hard, music festival fans out there, Grand Park’s annual Lollapalooza music festival will be held from July 28 to July 31.  This year’s line-up includes: The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Lana Del Rey, Radiohead, and Ellie Goulding.

10. Hermosa Beach

The summer would not be complete without a visit to California’s beaches. Voted to be one of the top beaches in southern California, Hermosa Beach is a great spot to catch some waves, swim, and sunbathe on the sand.

Why not make this the most exciting summer yet? Travel far and wide and remember to share your summer plans with Her Campus UCI!  

Christine Chen

UC Irvine '19

Christine is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UC Irvine. In her free time, she enjoys reading books, listening to business tech podcasts, running, and making people smile! :)
...