courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Stay in Touch with High School Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s that time in the quarter when you’re spending your days and nights with your textbooks, your computer screen is filled with endless powerpoints, and your phone is buried underneath a stack of papers. The little free time you do have is being social with those around you, and you’re not really spending any time reaching out to your friends at home. To help you not make it seem like you’ve forgotten about them, here are two ways to reach out to them:

1. Video Chatting

This may sound time consuming, but it’s surprisingly not. If you spend about ten or fifteen minutes talking face to face with your friend, it’s better than a quick text exchange. Quick text exchanges don’t show the love you have for a friend, because they can be written in a blink of an eye. Also, those kinds of exchanges have no emotion, which is what your friend needs to see from time to time. With video chat, you’re showing that you’re taking time out of your busy schedule to see their beautiful faces. You can laugh and smile and make funny faces as you catch up with them. Video chat is a great way to go if you want to remind your friends that college life hasn’t completely taken you over.

2. Snail Mail

In this day and age, it’s easy to underestimate the power of snail mail; in fact, it seems to have become more of an annoyance than a form of communication. Don’t let social media be the only way you keep in touch, even if it’s the easiest and quickest way to do so. Instead, when you’re out, pick up a card for ninety-nine cents at Trader Joe’s. You can also pick up a postcard from something you were doing, like if you go to San Francisco for the day. The note doesn’t have to be long; it can even be a simple “Hey! I’m thinking of you! Hope you’re doing well! I can’t wait to see you when we’re both home!”  Receiving a letter in the mail is always exciting, everyone knows it, even if they don’t admit it! Plus, receiving it from an old friend when you’re in a new environment is even better! So, take the time to jot down a quick note and send it off.

Video calling and snail mail are great ways to stay in contact with your old friends. A simple smile or quick notes are the best way to remind your friends that you aren’t letting them go anywhere, even though they’re not a part of your new journey. 

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!