How to Dress in the Rain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Edited by: Amy Coyle

As sad as it is, it’s time to admit that the sunny weather we know and love in Davis is coming to an end. With fall in full swing, we all know that rain is on its way. For us collegiettesTM there’s nothing worse than feeling like crap and looking like crap in the rain. Rainy weather makes you tired, it makes you lazy, and it makes your closet seem so much smaller. In order to avoid the havoc bad weather can wreak on our wardrobes, we have some helpful tips and suggestions of what to wear when it comes to rainy days.

Rain boots: Girls, get on top of it. Trust me. Buy these suckers before the rain hits, because I guarantee after the first big rainfall every store will be sold out of them. Rain boots are clearly the go-to for shoe wear because, unlike your Ugg Boots or Rainbows, they are made for the rain. They save your jeans from the disgusting puddles and keep you prepared for the weather.

Umbrellas: Yes, a hood is essential, but please get yourself an umbrella as well. Umbrellas don’t have to be the boring, black shade, either. Try to find a cute umbrella with either a crazy, out-there color, or a cute design to keep your outfit looking unique.

Bright clothing: Just because it’s raining outside and the sky looks dark and gloomy, doesn’t mean your wardrobe has to reflect it. Whatever color pleases you that day will do. It’s always refreshing to see turquoise, pink, green, and other light colors when the weather has us feeling down. Wearing these bright colors will make you feel less gloomy and make your outfit pop. This gives you a chance to stand out from every other college girl wearing a hoodie, uggs, and sweatpants. In order to feel comfy and look good, you can swap out the sweats for leggings to make your look more tailored. If it gets really cold, we suggest leggings under the jeans for extra warmth.

How to dress: Start with your basics. Like we said, don’t settle for the UCD hoodie and sweatpants. Pull out your pair of jeans, a thick sweater or v-neck top, leggings, socks, and a little hoodie. Essentially, you’re looking at a regular fall outfit but making it warmer with layers. On top of this, a great pea coat would fit to keep you warm and looking fabulous! Don’t forget to rock your rain boots and to accessorize with some jewelry. If you still want to try wearing dresses in the winter, you are totally welcome to! We suggest doing a double layer with leggings and then tights to keep you warm- and don’t forget socks as well! A dress can easily be matched with a nice pea coat and a good pair of boots. And last, but certainly not least, we know that cold, rainy weather means taking out our adorable gloves, scarves, and knit hats. Don’t hesitate to use them time and time again to fend for the cold!

Dressing in the rain isn’t as challenging as it seems. Don’t resort to the dull and unfashionable sweats and a hoodie, use your regular wardrobe to stay cute, unique and, above all else, warm with these quick and easy tips.

Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!