Her Wallpaper Reverie: Home Sweet Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Who among us doesn’t fondly recall freshman year? The thrill of being somewhere exciting and different, the independence of living on our own for the first time, and all the new experiences that college has to offer seemed to come out of nowhere. Perhaps the only thing more exhilarating than the first taste of dorm life, college lectures, and fraternity parties is experiencing what comes next: living in your very own apartment as a sophomore, studying abroad as a junior, graduating as a senior. And yet throughout it all, it seems that Dorothy was right—there’s no place like home.

College life can be so stimulating that the thought of spending a weekend at home seems, well, boring. But sometimes there’s no substitution for the comforts of your childhood bed, Mom’s cooking, and quality time with your dog. And as the quarter draws to an end and finals week approaches, going home could be just the thing you need to relieve you from the stresses of studying for exams, or maybe even an ideal, laid-back environment in which to crank out that last paper. No matter the reasons, going home always offers a weekend of peace, relaxation, and of course, endless pampering from parents who are thrilled to see you.

Even if home is too far to escape to until summer break rolls around, the comforts of home are never too far to take advantage of. Whether it’s a phone call to your mom for a much-needed pep talk or a Skype date with your sis to laugh and gossip, catching up with family makes you feel like you’re back at home even when you’re miles away. Although no one else’s [insert favorite meal here] could ever compare to Mom’s, having a potluck dinner with friends is a fun and delicious way to experience the comforts of a home-cooked meal at school. Even just taking the time to indulge in a nap in freshly laundered sheets or unwind in a bubble bath at the end of a long day do wonders to engage in the lazy relaxation that a weekend at home provides.

So the next time the urge to unwind strikes, why not do it in the comfort of your old home sweet home? Whether you’re back at the dinner table with Mom and Dad or simply trying out the domestic life at school for the evening, take the time to click your ruby red heels together and spend a weekend being a homebody.  Because no matter where you go and no matter what you do, there is nothing so pleasant as coming home again.

Edited by Brianna Frisch

photo source: http://www.absolutelyspotlessnc.com/house.jpg