This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Name: Gavin Banks
Year: 3rd year
Major: Communications
Hometown: Elk Grove, CA
Relationship Status: Single

How do you spend your free time?: After my classes, track practice and work, I usually just like to come home and relax. When I do have free time, I like to draw and paint. I also enjoy picking up sports, getting extra workouts in at the ARC and going long boarding with friends. Probably my favorite thing to do is just to relax and watch a good movie. I’m pretty much down for anything and always up for a good time.

How did you get into Track & Field?: I started running track in seventh grade for my middle school team. I then began competing over summer for various different track clubs in northern California. In high school, I used to run the 100 meter, 200 meter, and 400 meter along with both the long and short relay. In college, I’ve cut down to just running the 100, 200 and the short relay.

Who has inspired you most in your life and why?: My father. He had a pretty tough childhood but he was still able to become successful and give me the things he didn’t have when he was young. He always reminds me how important hard work is to accomplish the goals I’ve set in my life. My dad makes sure that family comes first and he is the reason why I want to have a family of my own someday.

What are your plans after college?: I want to get a job in advertising and move to either the bay area or southern California. I also want to pursue art, hopefully incorporating it into my career.

What is something most people don’t know about you?: I’m half Japanese.  My dad is African-American and my mom is Japanese.

What’s one embarrassing moment you’ve had recently?:  Last summer I was riding my bike home from work through campus when my front tire came off my bike. My fork stuck into the asphalt and I flew off. I was looking in the other direction so I didn’t know what had happened until I woke up on the ground, sunglasses shattered, face plastered on the road. What made it worse was a girl who had ran over to me because she she had heard a loud crash (my face hitting the ground) gasped, covered her mouth and said, “Oh my God, your face!”. I freaked out. I pretty much looked like 2-face from Batman. An ambulance came, they put me in a stretcher and a neck brace then carted me off to the hospital. I’m just glad it was summer so there weren’t a lot of people on campus to point and laugh at me.

What are your plans for the summer?: Staying in shape. I’ll also be working a lot at my current job too. I plan on riding down with my roommates to visit some of our friends throughout California. Since freshman year, I’ve made a trip down to visit my friend Drew in San Dimas so I’m pretty sure we’ll hold that down. Maybe party in Newport or Tahoe for the fourth and go houseboating in Lake Mead. I really want to go to Disneyland again.

What are some things on your bucket list?: I really want to travel to Europe and Australia. I want to go on a week long backpacking expedition through the wilderness. Road-trip across the United States. Snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef. Lay on the beach and enjoy a perfect sunset with the girl of my dreams, marry her, settle down and raise a family.

A QUICKIE (survey) with the Campus Cutie

Three pet peeves: People who have terrible hygiene, people that are shallow, and when people raise their hand in lecture and proceed to say, “I have a question.”

I love it when: a girl you have a crush on looks at you and smiles from across the classroom.

Big City or Small Town: Big towns, places like Elk Grove are ideal.

Favorite place in Davis: My bed.

My Guilty Pleasure is:  Milkshakes from In-N-Out.

I think reality television is: Not reality.

Ski or Snowboard: Snowboard.

My new year’s resolution was: To be more disciplined.

Blonde or Brunette: Blonde.

Childhood nickname: Speedy Gonzales

Coffee or Tea: Coffee.

I would go crazy without: The gym.

And most importantly, Boxers or Briefs?: Compression Shorts.

Photography by: Kayti Carlisle

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.