Forget Pie! 5 Easy Pumpkin Dessert Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Pumpkins aren’t just for pies. There are hundreds of pumpkin dessert recipes worth sharing. However, since college life doesn’t allow a lot of time for baking, I’ve narrowed it down to five easy recipes. I encourage you to try them all! Heads up: you’re going to need a lot of pumpkin.

1. Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies (recipe from twopeasandtheirpod.com)

These cookies kick Chips Ahoy’s butt! They are soft, chewy, and just a little bit spicy.

Ingredients:

3 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour3/4 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon baking soda1/2 teaspoon baking powder1 teaspoon ground cinnamon1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg1/2 teaspoon ground ginger1/4 teaspoon ground cloves1 cup butter, at room temperature3/4 cup brown sugar1 cup granulated sugar1 large egg2 teaspoons vanilla extract1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Set aside.

3. Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and pumpkin and mix until combined, about 3 minutes. Slowly add  the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

4. Drop  large, rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to brown around the edges. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for two minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.

2. Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes (recipe from chow.com)

Don’t let their size fool you. These darling cupcakes are jam packed with sweet and spicy flavors!

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon fine salt

2 3/4 cups granulated sugar

1 cup vegetable oil, plus more as needed

4 large eggs

1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée (not pie filling; about 1 3/4 cups)

Directions:

1. Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line 2 (12-well) muffin pans with paper liners. Alternatively, coat the wells with vegetable oil; set aside.

2. Place the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps; set aside.

3. Place the sugar and measured oil in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until the sugar is incorporated, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle with a rubber spatula.

4. Return the mixer to medium speed and add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, about 1 1/2 minutes total mixing time. Reduce the speed to medium low, add the pumpkin, and beat until just combined, about 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl and the paddle with a rubber spatula.

5. Turn the mixer to low speed, slowly add the flour mixture, and beat until almost completely incorporated, about 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in any unincorporated flour at the edges with a rubber spatula, making sure to scrape to the bottom of the bowl.

6. Fill the muffin wells three-quarters of the way (about a heaping 1/4 cup per well). Place the muffin pans side by side in the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Rotate the pans front to back and side to side and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean, about 10 minutes more.

7. Place the pans on wire racks and let them cool for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and cool completely on the racks.  If you desire,  coat the cupcakes with pumpkin cream cheese frosting .

3. Pumpkin Milkshake (recipe from dashingdish.com)

What’s better than a  slice of warm pumpkin pie? A cool, refreshing glass of pumpkin pie that only takes ten minutes to make!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese

1 scoop plain or vanilla protein powder

1/2 cup pumpkin puree

1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/8 tsp of nutmeg)

1/2 tsp cinnamon

2-4 packets Stevia

1/2 cup cold water

5-10 ice cubes

Topping: crushed honey teddy grahams

Directions:

1. Blend all base ingredients together

2. sprinkle crushed teddy grahams on top

4. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip (recipe from chocolatemoosey.com)

Serve this at one of your holiday gatherings, and I guarantee it’ll be a hit. It goes great with graham crackers, pretzels, apples, and so much more.

Ingredients:

4 Tbsp unsalted butter

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

4 ounces cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1/2 cup pumpkin puree

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp clove

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

1. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in brown sugar until it dissolves and starts to bubble. Remove from the heat and whisk in vanilla. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the melted butter mixture until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, and salt until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.

5. Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies (recipe from homecookingmemories.com)

This is the perfect recipe for those who can’t settle on just one kind of dessert.

Ingredients:

1 package brownie mix (13×9″ pan size) + ingredients needs as listed on package

Pumpkin Cheesecake Filling

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup canned pumpkin puree

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13×9″ baking pan with foil, with foil hanging over the edges on at least 2 sides. Spray foil with cooking spray.

2. In a medium sized bowl, prepare the brownie mix according to the package instructions. Set aside.

3. In another bowl, place the cream cheese and sugar and beat with a hand mixer on medium until combined. Beat in the pumpkin, vanilla, and egg until thoroughly combined. Mix in the pumpkin pie spice and the flour, just until combined.

4. Pour brownie batter into the bottom of your prepared pan. Smooth it out so it’s somewhat even. Place scoops of the pumpkin cheesecake filling directly on top of the brownie batter in random areas. With a butter knife, drag through the cheesecake filling and brownie batter creating a swirling, marbling effect.

5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven. When cool, lift brownies out using the foil as handles and cut into squares.

Megan Taylor Hartenstein is an English major and Women's Studies minor at the University of California, Davis. Give her something to write with, and she'll create a masterpiece. While she loves journalism and writing short stories, her dream is to become a television or film writer. Megan is a proud feminist, and loves to incorporate feminist principles in everything she writes.       
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.